Joining cables inside trunking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2.5mm T&E traveling to the Consumer Unit and needs to be extended. I plan to use Wago connectors for this and it will be accessible. I am planning to include this cable (along with a few others), in this trunking:

Can I include the connectors inside this trunking or does it need to have its own box? I can't see how the box would but up against the trunking...
Also, is it advisable to use penny washers when screwing this trunking to the wall?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
50x50 trunking can hold a lot of cables = substantial weight. Yes, penny washers.

Don’t like junctions inside trunking, it takes up space and later cable runs can cause issues. If you must use Wagos then consider that the conductors could be pulled out of the connectors. Assuming there is only mains cables in the trunking, you must support the cables to provide strain relief.

Don’t like junctions inside trunking
How would you handle it?
The cables are currently falling from the ceiling and will travel half way down the wall and then turn horizontal to make their way to the consumer unit. Its about midway of this horizontal run that I can reach with the current cable length. This entire route is inside a cupboard .

Sponsored Links
Consider the option to replace the length of cable with a length of new cable that is long enough to reach the consumer unit.
Unfortunately, the room has been plastered and this cable travels from a socket which is around 4 metres away. Not an option.

Crimp or solder the join. Cover the join with heat shrink sleeving. Over sleeve the whole join with larger heat shrink to include the outer cable sheath of both cables.
I have another post where the above has been suggested as the method for when cables are being buried in the wall. I am still contemplating how I resolve that.
However, on this as it is accessible, I assumed that the option of wagos (and even screw terminal?) is a valid option? I would prefer this if it could be handled neatly and safely.

I don't believe that WAGO agree with doing what you propose? They CAN be used in trunking that requires tools to open but AFAIK not in clip together trunking? Plus how does someone know that an extension has been made? How can they expect to inspect when it's location is hidden? Why not a box on the wall?

Why not a box on the wall?
Happy to put a box on the wall and situate wagos inside this but was wondering how this connects with the trunking I specified above? Was looking for a neat way to combine these.

I would read questions and answers as saying you want to do one thing, every one has advised some thing else, so you will keep bringing up reasons why you can do as you want until some on agrees with you even if poor advice.

Yes I have used crimps within trunking without epoxy shrink on them, but that does not make it right. To use a joint which is not a through joint, does allow you to tie wrap the wires so no direct strain on the wires in question, but it means there is something for other wires to snag on.

One does not use trunking where the wires will never be touched, the whole idea of trunking is to allow wires to be altered. I love the idea of trunking this 1654514684884.pngallows one to easy change positions of sockets without damaging the wall, and this 1654514864313.png allows one to hide cables, and this 1654514993766.pngallows the use of singles, they are all trunking, but used in different ways, the requirement for use of clips 1654515156183.pnginside the trunking has made the use of plastic trunking less popular, I would use stick on trunking and then smear some stopper on the edges to blend it in, also the stopper would hold it there even if the sticky back lost its stickiness. But the fire regulations stopped that, and it is uncertain if we can even use plastic raw plugs.

The last I used was in mothers house where when the house was rewired the electrician put a length of horizontal trunking T2 between to sockets, hid by wardrobe I missed it until latter, I removed chiselled out plaster and refitted so flush with plaster, and then papered over it, it would need a tool to access as would need the plaster removing along the edge, but the whole job was a botch up to cover the electricians poor workmanship, it had been agreed all sockets to be on a ring final, and trunking only to be used in corners, but wardrobe hid it from view.

So there are times when you simply can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear, so you have to do your best botch up. However what needs to go through your mind is will this be picked up as a fault with an EICR, and if it goes wrong will you need to correct it FOC or pay for damage caused.

This in real terms means what I do in my own house, I would likely not do in some one else's, even 25 years latter poor workmanship can come back to bite you. And with minor works certificates showing who did the work, it is simply not worth the risk, if a job is worth doing it is worth doing well.

It is possible I would have at one time made a junction in trunking, however I noted a different colour cable either end of some trunking in a school and investigated, I found sub standard work, and wrote out a report, the result was a caretaker looking for another job, so is it worth it? That caretaker could have simply done nothing and he would still have his job, it seems so wrong he was let go because he tried to help. Some times one needs to simply say no.

Could I...
Have a square Wiska box coming off the side of the trunking and pop my wago connectors in here?

I was thinking that I have the trunking coming down say 50cm and then have the wiska box butted to the side. Do the joins in here and all cables then flow down following the original vertical route of the trunking. The join is then accessible, identified and not hindering any other cables.

.... Assuming there is only mains cables in the trunking, you must support the cables to provide strain relief.
I've been trying to work out (without much success!) what instructions you gave to your typing fingers, because it seems as if they may have disobeyed those instructions to some extent when they typed the above :) ...

If support/'strain relief' were required, it would presumably be just as required if there were a mixture of 'mains' and 'non-mains' cables as when there were "only mains cables", wouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back