Practicing a Consumer Unit install

Sponsored Links
You can buy new stickers or just make your own and number them however you want.
Would most electricians - or is there a convention - wire the breakers from left to right into the earth terminals? i.e. the 5 breakers on the left hand side (only 3 in place currently) would go into 1-5 on the earth terminals, With the left most breaker being #1
upload_2022-5-5_9-46-4.png

We then have the 5 breakers on the right which would take up 6-10. 11-13 are superfluous in this setup as I understand it?

The above seems logical to me and I can adopt this but interested to understand what the industry does as I may be working on a board that is already installed and it would help to track down the associated earth cables.

Presumably, the left to right approach would also work with RCBO's?

Thanks again.

Your box could potentially look something like this:
upload_2022-5-5_11-42-2.png
Except I've roughed in MCB's between the isolator and RCD and shown red and yellow wires to demonstrate they are 2 totally seperated sets

Sponsored Links
Your box could potentially look something like this:View attachment 269022Except I've roughed in MCB's between the isolator and RCD and shown red and yellow wires to demonstrate they are 2 totally seperated sets

can I use the brown wire inside 2.5mm twin and earth for this purpose? Also, can I use the same for all breaker ratings or do I need thicker cable in some cases?

Jupiter, can I ask some questions please?

Do you have a copy of the regs and/or OSG?
What test kit do you own?

Apologies if you have been asked this before and answered.

can I use the brown wire inside 2.5mm twin and earth for this purpose? Also, can I use the same for all breaker ratings or do I need thicker cable in some cases?
All the time you are experimenting AND powering this with a flex from a 13A plug then yes you can use 2.5mm² offcuts.
However if it's a real life unit a proper busbar should really be used.

Do you have a copy of the regs and/or OSG?
No. Happy to get if it will make sense to a DIY'er...
I am definitely not a professional electrician.

What test kit do you own?
As per earlier posts (includes pics), I have set up a consumer unit with: ring, lighting, radial, cooker switch. Trying to simulate house electrics. It is fed from a 13amp plug.
I own a number of electricians tools: 2 pole tester, VDE pliers and screwdrivers, voltage stick (!), etc.

Do people use blanking plates for spare ways or put breakers in there and mark them as spares?

Blanking plates are cheaper than anything else you could put in there. And they don’t confuse people as to their purpose.
I must say that my personal tendency is to put in a device - and not lose any sleep over people who are so dumb that they will be 'confused' by a label saying "SPARE" or "CURRENTLY UNUSED" :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back