New garage consumer unit for oven in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Just wanted to check that I wasn't completely barking and so I can prepare the materials for the electrician. We cant get a run from the current consumer unit to the kitchen to feed a new oven as the good old joists run the wrong way. So my thought is we can run some armoured cable outside along the wall and into the garage quite easily. We can the drill through to the kitchen and fit the oven - happy days.

I just wanted to check if Im right - oven requires 32amps so if I run

25mm² 3 Core PVC SWA XLPE Armoured Cable​

To the garage with a

British General Fortress 5-Module 2-Way Populated Garage Consumer Unit

Which has a 6amp and 32amp mcb along with a Type A 40A 30mA RCD all will be hunky dory? And a little bit future proof

Sponsored Links
25 Milli cable is overkill.

What device were you planning to use to protect the SWA?

Sponsored Links
ok so maybe 16mm (Ive been doing a little more investigating). Soooo Im thinking 16mm armoured cable and a mains switch with relevant RCBO's at the garage consumer unit end with a 45A at the house consumer unit end? We do have a cooker circuit in already but the 6mm cable isnt sufficient for the new oven and conduction hob from what I understand.

I have a consumer unit linked via 16mm three core SWA to another consumer unit. This runs my whole kitchen, 3Kw oven, induction 8Kw hob.
Think at the house end, it’s feed by a 50amp ‘C’ breaker.

haha sorry yeah induction hob :LOL:

So is my understanding and what Ive been told incorrect? We have a 6mm existing cable which fed the old standard hob and oven and we are looking to put in

BOSCH - Series 4 MBS533BB0B Electric Double Oven and Zanussi Series 20 78cm 4 Zone Induction Hob ZITN844K

I was told this wasn't sufficient and a 10mm cable would be required?

So is my understanding and what Ive been told incorrect? We have a 6mm existing cable which fed the old standard hob and oven and we are looking to put in
Ok. With the 32A MCB, that is good for 15kW (possibly 19kW) of cooking appliances.

BOSCH - Series 4 MBS533BB0B Electric Double Oven and Zanussi Series 20 78cm 4 Zone Induction Hob ZITN844K
From my searches the oven is 5.9kW and the hob 7.2kW - making 13.1kW - so alright.

I was told this wasn't sufficient and a 10mm cable would be required?
Assuming the existing circuit is properly installed then that is just plain wrong.

In any case, the cable is larger than necessary for a 32A circuit; 4mm² would be adequate if not run in any thermal insulation or conduit.

Ok. With the 32A MCB, that is good for 15kW (possibly 19kW) of cooking appliances.

From my searches the oven is 5.9kW and the hob 7.2kW - making 13.1kW - so alright.

Assuming the existing circuit is properly installed then that is just plain wrong.

In any case, the cable is larger than necessary for a 32A circuit; 4mm² would be adequate if not run in any thermal insulation or conduit.

You might have just saved me a few quid....!!! Thanks.

I'm going to have a chat with the electrician and see why they think differently.

Do you happen to know the ratings of your present hob and oven?

They can't be that much less.
No we ripped it out over 2 years ago as part of our refurb and have been waiting to move in since..! :D

The only reason I questioned all this with the electrician (and that was the thought behind all this) was I was told that induction hobs require a 10mm cable to supply and that lead me down this rabbit hole - lesson learnt :)

The only reason I questioned all this with the electrician (and that was the thought behind all this) was I was told that induction hobs require a 10mm cable to supply and that lead me down this rabbit hole - lesson learnt :)

I don't know why people have such strange ideas about induction hobs.

They actually use less electricity than old fashioned ones - therefore...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back