new garage consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would just like some information/advice:

I currently have a consumer unit in the garage 2way which currently has one rcd for sockets(2) and one rcd for lights(3). I am currently planning to add 2 lights to a patio which is about 12m from the garage(running armoured cable2.5mm buried) and have more sockets & lights to a outbuilding attached to the side of the garage.

The main consumer unit in the house has a rcd feed to the consumer unit in the garage..

Should the 2way consumer unit in the garage be changed to say a 5way consumer unit or just take extra spurs from the existing setup in the garage??

I will be running the cables, but I would like to know my options before I get a electrician in to do the work.

thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
be better to change it providing the supply cable to it from the house is of the correct size to take the extra loads

thanks for the info, one other point armoured cable, can it be run next to a fence if it is buried 300mm underground in steel conduit with a row of bricks buried on top finally covered with soil.

Is this within the regulations???

swa is desigend to be burried as it is, steel conduit will rust, it should also be burried wih marking tape "caution electric cable below"

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that 300mm is not deep enough even if it is covered with bricks it has to be 450mm???

What about if it was buried under paving slabs???

The guidance I have seen makes no distinction about what the construction of the ground covering is. Whether it is soil, or a 9" solid concrete plinth, the guidance is the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back