Which RCD for Garage Consumer Unit, mains coming from house

Discrimination between MCBs is quite hard to achieve. A ratio of 2:1 is often bandied about. There are proper tables provided by manufacturers of stuff.

An easier way is to have a FUSE at the source end feeding the downstream MCB.

But you are designing it, so you obviously know what you are doing. :LOL::LOL:

Sponsored Links
NO! You must have discrimination between up and downstream devices. The downstream must be quite a lot smaller that the supply end, otherwise in the event of a fault the house MCB will trip.
I wouldn't say that there is really any "must" about it. Unnecessarily having two OPDs in series which won't 'discriminate' is silly, and a potential inconvenience, but that would seem to be about all.

If there were a "must", we would have somewhat of a problem, in that, as we all know, a 13A BS1362 fuse will often tonot discriminate from a B32 MCB (let alone a B20) and, perhaps 'worse', a 13A BS1362 fuse in a plug certainly will not, if plugged into a socket which is a 'fused spur', discriminate against the identical 13A BS1362 fuse in the FCU (not to mention 3A fuses for fans fed by B6 MCBs :) ) - so, if discrimination between OPDs were a "must", many of the common aspects of electrical installations would 'not be allowed' :)

Kind Regards, John
Edit: typo corrected

Last edited:
I'll look at various options and decide which is best to go down. I could fuse switch it, that is an option.
The cave CU is there if needed.

Sponsored Links
68E8C017-002A-4602-8DDE-69E76BDA97B0.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back