1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Which RCD for Garage Consumer Unit, mains coming from house

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by Squiral1, 17 Sep 2020.

1. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Discrimination between MCBs is quite hard to achieve. A ratio of 2:1 is often bandied about. There are proper tables provided by manufacturers of stuff.

An easier way is to have a FUSE at the source end feeding the downstream MCB.

But you are designing it, so you obviously know what you are doing. :LOL::LOL:

2. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I wouldn't say that there is really any "must" about it. Unnecessarily having two OPDs in series which won't 'discriminate' is silly, and a potential inconvenience, but that would seem to be about all.

If there were a "must", we would have somewhat of a problem, in that, as we all know, a 13A BS1362 fuse will often tonot discriminate from a B32 MCB (let alone a B20) and, perhaps 'worse', a 13A BS1362 fuse in a plug certainly will not, if plugged into a socket which is a 'fused spur', discriminate against the identical 13A BS1362 fuse in the FCU (not to mention 3A fuses for fans fed by B6 MCBs :) ) - so, if discrimination between OPDs were a "must", many of the common aspects of electrical installations would 'not be allowed' :)

Kind Regards, John
    Edit: typo corrected

Last edited: 19 Sep 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. Squiral1

Squiral1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'll look at various options and decide which is best to go down. I could fuse switch it, that is an option.
    The cave CU is there if needed.

5. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  6. Sponsored Links