Running a circuit between two domestic garages.

Sponsored Links
One further consideration. Fire separation between the garages. What is the wall between the garages and does it reach to the roof thus having no openings between adjacent garages ?
From an electrical point of view I would change the CU in the first garage to a four way CU to provide two 16 amp radials ( one per garage ) and two 6 amp lighting circuits ( one per garage ).

Don't be upset but outside power involves a lot more than you think.

Ideally the supply to the garages would be better on a supply protected by a higher rated fuse to offer some selectivity with the fuses/MCBs in the garages and also not be protected by the house RCD so that a bulb blowing in the garages does not disconnect (half?) the house.

I don't suppose the garage has a water supply but if it did this would present bonding issues.

Other than ask you every little detail, it would be impossible to tell you the best way.

As it is - on a 32A MCB and RCD - all that was required was to down fuse with a switched FCU for the smaller lighting circuit.
Therefore there is no need for the CU in the garage, let alone another one.

As said, all you are doing is adding another socket and light.

Sponsored Links
Thanks EFLImpudence.

Everyone's been really helpful.

I think my house was built and cabled during a different Edition (if that's the correct terminology). To me it looks as though the lighting and boiler circuit in the main house are not protected by an RCD; all other circuits, including the run to the garage, are RCD protected. It may be that the electrician will wish to move the garage run away from the main property's single RCD, or indeed to add a second RCD. I apologise if in advance if that's a nonsense; I'm running to keep up :-/.

But, as previous, I'll follow his recommendations; it's just I'm interested. I'll never stop learning.

My only hope is that the cable run from the house to the garage doesn't need replacing. From the little I know and form what I'm hearing here replacement sounds unlikely; but it'd cause one heck of a lot of disruption if it were required.

Thanks again and have a good weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back