Garage Wiring

Sponsored Links
If you have a spare way and compatible buzbar, you have options of using unprotected (RCD) circuit to garage CU, from there you could fit a garage CU that has RCD protection integrated. Or use an RCBO at house consumer unit again this should be split from the existing two RCCBs, then a distribution circuit to a garage CU that wiil require no additional RCD protection.
It is important that any buried cable that is not RCD protected is mechanically protected, also cable will require to be routed in permitted safe zones, if buried and not mechanically protected.
Hope that is clear.

Thanks thats what I would like to do.

Seperate RCBO from existing house consumer unit. Or unprotected MCB to an RCD protected unit in the garage.

I'm unsure if that configuration is possible on that wylex unit I showed in the link though.

Personally (as DIYer myself) I wouldn't want to screw around with the house wiring if you've got a proper dual-RCD consumer unit like this. If there's a spare way in the consumer unit then you could run the supply from that with suitably sized cable and MCB. You'd need accept the fact that a garage fault would trip half of the house.

Otherwise I would use a separate supply to a consumer unit in the garage - this would need to be done by an electrician. That's what I have just done but I will be wiring the final circuits myself now the supply is in.

Sponsored Links
I'm unsure if that configuration is possible on that wylex unit I showed in the link though.
It would be but you would require spare way, so you can adjust busbar configuration and introduce an unprotected way at the incomer.
There are other options but it would require the main fuse to be withdrawn if you do not have an isolation switch prior to board.
withdrawing main fuse would require permission from the supply company or DNO.

But as previously stated you have to notify the work to building controls prior to you starting it or have a self cert electrician involved.

Hello Prentice

The house and garage are all a bare shell more or less so everything is easy to access and run cable.

Whats the other option you mention, could I run a tail from the meter to a small 2 way consumer unit dedicated for the garage, but locate it next to the existing house consumer unit, then run my supplies to the garage from the new unit?

Thanks

It is possible that a junction, isolator or mini CU could be introduced at the tails after the meter.
But fuse withdrawing needs to be approved, if there is no isolator existing.

I wonder who is going to sign this:

I being the person responsible for the Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing, hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2011 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows.

Ban all Sheds, your like a forum Troll, why not **** off and post something useful , sad sad man...

PS IF I carry out any work, building control will test, assess and sign off..

Ban all Sheds, your like a forum Troll, why not **** off and post something useful , sad sad man...
What I've posted has been useful.

It's just that you are so deluded that it's not what you want to hear, so you are becoming abusive.

PS IF I carry out any work, building control will test, assess and sign off..
Are they going to design it for you?

Or are they going to expect you to be competent to do that?

Their testing and inspection is not a substitute for competence on your part, and getting bent out of shape at the suggestion that you should know what you're doing does not tend to indicate that you have the right attitude.

Ban all sheds, thanks loads what a superstar....your a DIYNOT legend and uber helpful...again a big thank you for being so special !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back