Practicing a Consumer Unit install

Sponsored Links
Yes to your question:

"Do people use blanking plates for spare ways or put breakers in there and mark them as spares?"

People do use blanking plates for spare ways or put breakers in there and mark them as spares.

I must say that my personal tendency is to put in a device - and not lose any sleep over people who are so dumb that they will be 'confused' by a label saying "SPARE" or "CURRENTLY UNUSED" :)

Kind Regards, John

I have seen too many consumer units installed with a row of MCBs and not a single label attached. Spotting the spares involves removing the front panel.
Blanks for me.

Yes to your question:

"Do people use blanking plates for spare ways or put breakers in there and mark them as spares?"

People do use blanking plates for spare ways or put breakers in there and mark them as spares.

ok…
Do you prefer one method over the other?

Sponsored Links
IMO a blank is "correct"

you can't rely on an unmarked device being unused; nor even one marked "spare"

you can leave a box of spare MCBs if you want.l

I have seen too many consumer units installed with a row of MCBs and not a single label attached.
Yep, even I have seen plenty of those. However, the problem then is the lack of the labelling, not the fact that some of the devices may be currently unused.

Do I take it that you would advise people who buy 'fully populated' CUs but currently do not need to use all of the MCBs/RCBOs that they should remove the 'currently not needed' ones and then spend (at least a little) more money on buying some blanks to replace them with?

Kind Regards, John

Yes to your question: ... "Do people use blanking plates for spare ways or put breakers in there and mark them as spares?" ... People do use blanking plates for spare ways or put breakers in there and mark them as spares.
They do, but your answer is not exhaustive, since 'some people' just leave (dangerous) gaps/holes :)

Kind Regards, John

No. Happy to get if it will make sense to a DIY'er...
I am definitely not a professional electrician.

As per earlier posts (includes pics), I have set up a consumer unit with: ring, lighting, radial, cooker switch. Trying to simulate house electrics. It is fed from a 13amp plug.
I own a number of electricians tools: 2 pole tester, VDE pliers and screwdrivers, voltage stick (!), etc.

back in the day Ban All Sheds used to post a library of publications and advise the poster to read them before undertaking electrical work. Before he left us, he posted this to just about everybody. In your case, he would have been right to advise you to read up. I did see JohnW2 advise you read up in RCDs. That is the top of what you need to read up on. I don't understand people telling you how to reconfigure your CU when you are so far from ready to work in a CU. I was stunned to see your photo of your shiny new CU, live with the front panel off and nobody picked you up on this. Asking random questions in this and possibly other forums is not a way to learn. You should invest in a text book (look at Basic Electrical Work by Trevor Linsley). You need to understand basic theory, focus on live proving and testing as this will at least teach you about safety.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I was stunned to see your photo of your shiny new CU, live with the front panel off and nobody picked you up on this.

Where did you see the photo, the Op stated the cu is a mock up on a sheet of board and the only supply is via a 13amp plugtop which we all assume is unplugged at the time

20220429_120407742_ios-2-jpg.268515

On page 5 in post #69. The last photo seems to show a lamp and LAP socket tester illuminated while the cover is off the CU. I am on a tablet, so not the largest image and I'm happy to stand corrected.

back in the day Ban All Sheds used to post a library of publications and advise the poster to read them before undertaking electrical work. Before he left us, he posted this to just about everybody. In your case, he would have been right to advise you to read up. I did see JohnW2 advise you read up in RCDs. That is the top of what you need to read up on. I don't understand people telling you how to reconfigure your CU when you are so far from ready to work in a CU. I was stunned to see your photo of your shiny new CU, live with the front panel off and nobody picked you up on this. Asking random questions in this and possibly other forums is not a way to learn. You should invest in a text book (look at Basic Electrical Work by Trevor Linsley). You need to understand basic theory, focus on live proving and testing as this will at least teach you about safety.
I totally agree with you SS and similar has been said, however if you have been following J1's posts itcan be seen this is one of those situations where 'it's going to happen anyway' so our best thing is to help rather than say 'don't'.

I have not said don't (as BAS used to say) just get to understand the basics to stay safe. After all, we all know what happens when you don't respect the dangers when facing electricity.

I have not said don't (as BAS used to say) just get to understand the basics to stay safe. After all, we all know what happens when you don't respect the dangers when facing electricity.
Hi @scousespark, let me firstly state that I am grateful for the advice that you and others have provided over the years. I wanted to dispel this impression that I may be some bumbling bafoon that has no regard for safety. Quite the opposite. I am diligent in my safe isolation and ensuring that I have the correct equipment. I have now done a substantial amount with electrics over the years and have felt increasingly confident - but not complacent - as I have progressed. Again, thanks to a huge amount that I have picked up on here.
I am also one to research extensively. Often what I post or receive on here will be triangulated with other research and I will then subject it to my only experimentation - with safety at the forefront of course. The Consumer Unit is one such example. I didn't want to delve into my own consumer unit and hence set up this test rig which has really cemented my understanding. The open CU picture you referred to, allowed me to see where we have live parts in the CU, which is something I set out to understand.
Having said that, I am a DIY'er and there is much to learn. I wanted to share my perspective.

Thanks again for your support

This is the photo I was referring to. The socket tester may not be lit up. It certainly seems to be a live installation from this photo.

20220430_113454792_ios-2-jpg.268520

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back