wet rafters

ngk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had my roof tiled with redland plain tiles, the roof is boarded and has 2 dormer which have warm roofs on them. the roof has breather felt on boards and lathes down rafters then tiled, also has a chimney that has been taken down to below the roof, the boards ar permantly wet and when it rains the water drips off the rafters and the wall where the chimney is soaked. 7 vent tiles have been installed and appear to have helped but still a lot of water. also the ceiling is partly down and still has to be put up and insulated.

Sponsored Links
the ceiling is partly down and still has to be put up and insulated.
You're saying that warm, moist air from the house rises up into the roof where it reaches the cold uninsulated felt?

You have created a Condensation machine.

lots of water in the air will increase humidity, and also rain falling on the roof will make it colder.

these two facts will increase condensation.

They might be a roof leak as well but you won't be able to tell unless its very bad, until you stop causing the condensation.

Do you use an extractor fan in the bathroom and shower? Do you ever drape wet washing about the house?

Sponsored Links
The house is currently empty apart from ground floor flat, it being renovated, roofer has a good reputation and 30yrs experience and says he 99.9% sure his roof isnt leaking and also says its condensation i just dont want to put ceiling up til im sure

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back