Ridge tiles or lead?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a roofer over to finish the technical bits off.

One dilema is the ridge tiles. BAck of the roof is a dormer which runs to the pitch. There's a timber spin that kicks up as an upstand. So normal size ridge tiles wont fit on top of the timber upstand.

The roofer finishing my job recommends lead? Is that right? I thought you would use J type ridge tiles?

Sponsored Links
Upstand on flat roof about 9-10cm

nwlaao.jpg

2nv76dl.jpg

Bump! Would really appreciate some input!

What's a J Type ridge?

I would agree that lead is acceptable if correctly installed or possibly a combination of lead and ridge

Sponsored Links
Looks like he's left you with all the **** ... The vertical section could be easily tile hung after fitting a lead flashing to the pitch to vertical junction.

You might get a mono ridge on there.. But it's not really possible to tel from a photo..
This could be switched to a standard ridge across the back of the flat roof giving a clear line looking the same from one side..

Your best bet is get a couple of ridge and try a dry run ..

If all else fails.. Then lead will be fine if fitted with some thought..

Roofer managed to fit my standard ridge tiles back on top of the roof. I noticed they were drilled and fixed in place with galvanised nails. Is that ok?

Im concerned as it ****ed down the other night and the roof leaked ever so slightly, obviously something is leaking.

If they had holes then they were intended for dry fix system A bog standard galv nail is not good enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back