One hot radiator - the rest stone cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a ground floor flat, so all radiators are on the same level. The radiator nearest to the boiler is very hot, all of the rest are stone cold. I have bled all of the radiators - a lot of air came out of one, but this made no difference. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
are the valves both sides of the radiator open allowing water to flow through the rads? if so try closing the lockshield or trv(if fitted) then opening it one turn on the one closest to the boiler this will force water round to the other ones.

Hi - thanks for the quick response.

I don't know much at all about plumbing, so I'm not sure what a lockshield or trv are.

There is a numbered dial on the right hand pipe of the radiator - I have this fully open - i.e. on number 6. On the left hand pipe there is a smaller grey plastic numberless dial. I am able to turn this many times either clockwise or anticlockwise, and it never really seems to tighten or loosen.

The heating was working fine - it seems to have the heat seems to have gradually moved away from each radiator (over a period of weeks) until there is only one hot radiator.

the "numbered" dial is the trv
other end is the locksheild is you take the cover off its a nofmal valve
cover will have screw in centre or just pull off :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I have located the lockshield, which is open, and tried closing it off and then opening one turn (on the working radiator - the one closest to the boiler). This has not made any difference.

Do you think there is an air lock? The pipes are very narrow bore (about 10mm).

I am guessing that there is not a lot else that I can try other than getting a heating engineer in?

Any bright ideas?

Thanks again.

Sorry...

I have a gas boiler - Stelrad Group Ideal Mexico Slimline RS40.

In terms of type of system, I'm not sure what info. you need.

There is a separate water boiler, which is working fine and I have no problems with hot water.

I cannot follow the pipes, as they all run under the floor.

I'm not sure where/if there is a water tank for filling the system. If it there is one, I would guess it's in the roof space, which would be extremely difficult for me to access (the roof space being a couple of feet between the actual ceiling and suspended ceilings).

The system is certainly a 'wet' system... water comes out of the radiators when I bleed them.

It may be air locked, if so then turning off the radiators that are working should get the others going.
If they come on, but go back off when the others are turned back on then it may be that the pump is worn and may need turning up a speed or replacing.
It may also be that the system has run out of water for one reason or another. Blocked supply from header tank or stuck ball valve.

surely its worth getting a plumber out mate. how old is the system? is it blocked / how long have you lived there the list goes on for thew sake of £45 someone can sort it out or tell you whats wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back