Electric cables and loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am currently insulating my loft After feeding the wiring down through my new stud partition and plaster boarding it up. I realize that some of the wires go under some of the rafters which is going to make it difficult for me to get them above the loft insulation. I should be able to get them above the insulation but it will be difficult and moving the wires is not possible because I have insulated and plaster boarded the stud wall already. I was just wondering if there was any sleeve I can put on the cables so they would be safe from over heating if I had to leave them under the loft insulation?

Sponsored Links
I was just wondering if there was any sleeve I can put on the cables so they would be safe from over heating if I had to leave them under the loft insulation?
Hello.

I'm too hot, so I thought I'd put another coat on to make me cool down.

Thats a valid point but not very constructive!

Can I get away with leaving the cables below the insulation?

Sponsored Links
yes if you want to replace the cables with ones with a bigger csa that could handle been under the insulation

What cables are under the insulation and what do they supply?
What size are the cables?
What device are these cables protected by and what is the rating in amps?

It is 2.5m sq cable supplying regular double plugged power sockets. At the moment it is an ancient fuse box but this will be replaced by an RCD box.

It is 2.5m sq cable supplying regular double plugged power sockets. At the moment it is an ancient fuse box but this will be replaced by an RCD box.
I dont think you'll get away with it, unless you have the ring main on a 20A protective device. :(

I don't see any issues with some kind of boxing in around them, perhaps even running a piece of upturned 50x50 trunking over them with the lid removed. Not exactly an approved installation method, but it should give adequate space for heat dissipation.

There are many lofts that have been insulated under government schemes with absolutely no thought to the issues you mention in your original post, so the above suggestion should still be a whole lot better than that.

What sort of insulation is it? If its fairly rigid stuff like celotex, you can cut sort of chases in it for the cables, providing the cables are clipped down and you make generous trenches it should be OK.

What sort of insulation is it? If its fairly rigid stuff like celotex, you can cut sort of chases in it for the cables, providing the cables are clipped down and you make generous trenches it should be OK.

surely that avoids putting the insulation in in the first place. In my 8/9 years being a spark i have never noticed a warm cable under insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back