Baxi boiler solo 2 50PF making howling noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler over the past year has started making a howling noise and i mean hoooooooowwwwwwling, when i start the boiler up after a few minutes you can start to hear the howling start and then it continues till it it is a full on howling/whistling noise, this can continue for anything up to an hour and may die down but sure comes back again and again until the heating is switched off, it drives us mad if set to come on in the morning as wakes you up with howling once the boiler switches on. It is noisiest near the boiler but can be heard right through the house, please can some one give me an idea how to solve this problem or explain what the cause may be

Really appreciate any advice

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Could possibly be air trapped in the top of heat exchanger, check boiler is perfectly level, or possibly scale build up in the heat exchanger.

The fans can make a similar noise when the bearings are seizing up !

However I doubt its that in your case as the fans usually fail completely a few days later!

Tony

Sponsored Links
if it's a whistling noise, it could be what we call 'singing'. This is usually a sign of too much gas (too high a burner pressure). Could be the main injector worn or maybe just needs a service and the BP reset.

Unfortunately you will need an RGI to look at this.

Thanks for the replies and possibilities, i forgot to say actually that the pump was disconected briefly from the boiler and relocated slightly higher due to a kitchen extension, the boiler wasnt moved just the pump to enable the new kitchen units and ceiliing to be built was about two weeks after we then realised the noise, but cant really say if it made it before or not as cant remember hearing it, im sure it didnt make a noise.

dont know if that makes any difference???

Alistair,
Quite an old thread, but did you resolve the problem? I have a Baxi boiler that has started doing the same thing, so far I have been unable to find a solution.
James

Alistair,
Quite an old thread, but did you resolve the problem? I have a Baxi boiler that has started doing the same thing, so far I have been unable to find a solution.
James
If you want the proper advice you will need to start your own thread and say which model of Baxi you have , therer are many we cant just guess, it is against site rules to Hi-jack an old thread for very good reasons , it just becomes so confusing when trying to advise

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back