Oven installation issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need help installing a new oven. Being a muppet, I ordered one without checking everything would be OK. So; first problem is fairly common:

The old oven runs from a 30A fused line (red switch on wall), to a pair of 3prong sockets, and plugged in. The new one needs hardwiring (3400W), so I need to convert the twin plugs to a hardwire socket. The complication is that the hob ignition is also a plug fitting. Questions:

-What size wire needs to be running from the wallswitch to the plug for hardwiring the new oven? (so I know if I need to replace it or not)

-How easy is the conversion? do I need to fit a completely new wall fitting?

-Where does the hob ignition fit in? Do I keep the twin plugs, keep just one plug (although its two plugs on one fitting), or hardwire the hob ignition into the new setup?

-I assume there are no complications with the legality of doing it myself?

OK, problem 2: The gas pipe to the hob slightly obstructs the new oven. Options:

-Get a Corgi guy in to move the plug.

-Mount the oven a bit forward, and make up a wooden 'gasket' spacer. (not so keen, it would look pretty village)

-Cut a bit out of the oven casing so it will fit

The latter is possible as the intefering region of the oven is just casing, no actual oven. Would this be OK?

If doing it myself is not an option, can anyone give me an idea as to the costs involved for the two bits of work?

Thanks very much for any help.

Sponsored Links
The electrical stuff would be notifiable under Part P (since it's in a kitchen), so while you can do it yourself, you have to notify your LABC in advance (which normally involves paying a fee), and they will inspect it once you're done etc (see the wiki for more info)

I'm not sure on the best way to connect the oven, at 3.4kW it's over 13A, so you can't just do a fused spur (which is the normal method), but for the hob what I'd do is just put in a single socket on that circuit and plug it in - the ignition is going to be such a tiny amount of power used anyway.

As for the pipe - cutting a bit out of the oven casing would obviously invalidate your warranty, and also is probably a bad idea, in that it might expose the internals of the oven (breaking various safety rules - something the LABC inspector wouldn't accept), and also ovens often dissipate heat to some extent via their casing - cutting a chunk of metal out of it might cause issues. Personally I'd get a corgi guy in to move the pipe (shouldn't cost very much as it should be a fairly quick job)...

when you say "oven" do you mean "oven" or do you mean "cooker?"

Is it single or double oven?

Does it have electric rings or gas burners?

It is a built in, double fan, single oven. The current gas hob is staying (which also needs an ignition plug).

Thanks for the help, rebuke, I didn't think about warranty. I'm a little worried about moving the gas, not just for the cost, but also, its a little hard to get it anywhere else. There is a wooden beam that could be cut to allow the gas pipe to run nearer the back wall, i suppose. As for the electrical work, what do you think it would cost to get someone to do it? You think putting a new, separate hardpoint is the way?

Sponsored Links
Another question: where would I look for someone to do both jobs? Presumably electricians aren't generally corgi registered for gas mains.

Just to back track.

It sounds like you have a valid cooker circuit that could power your oven as it is rated at 30amps.

Someone has put a double socket on the end of this.
So
The double socket needs to be removed and a proper cooker connection point installed instead. then the cooker can be wired in.

All you then need to do is find a nearby power point for your gas hob ignition. Your best route to getting this done is to find a local spark at www.competentperson.co.uk.
A spark from there will look after doing the work and the legalities. You'll be lucky to find a spark that is also Corgi registered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back