Potterton Boiler Help wanted - URGENTLY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, this is my first post and i need your help before it costs me any more money...

i had been having problems with my 3 port valve, the problem was that it was sticking on, i therefore decided to change the Tower 3-port valve for Drayton but since fitting it i have had no heating.

I changed the wires like for like but since then nothing has worked, well when i say nothing has worked what i mean is the boiler will fire up for approx 45 - 50 sec and then it goes off.

i looked at the manual and traced the faults, and the fault pointed to a PCB fault, so today i splashed act £100.17 and got anew PCB and after fitting it the boiler fired up, urega i yelled but then 60 secs later it stopped.

i best not say what i shouted out this time!

the only thing i not is that if i pull out the temp sesor out of the front the boiler fires back up again, i gather this means that the water jacket is getting too hot?

by the way the boiler is a Kingfisher MF CF80

Please Please Help before a freeze my nuz off again tonight!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i forgot to mention that when the boiler goes off after approx 60 secs the pump still runs.

and if it helps, its a vented system

New motorised valve , so system drained down?? . You have an air lock by the sounds of it

tis was my thought.

so i opened the drain on the water jacket and water came out ok, i opened the bleed valve on the rad downstairs and water came out.

what else could i do?

Sponsored Links
Possibly a circulation fault. Assuming you had to drain the system to replace the 3 port then its very likly.

Its sounds as if the BOILER was working ok before you did any work so its unlikely to be an internal boiler fault.

Might be worth getting someone out. Chucking parts at it isnt the correct way to go.

i agree but after a electrican looking at it and saying yes all wired ok and it seems as if there is a fault on the PCB, hence spending this money.

is there a way of back filling it to force out the air?

First bleed every possible bleed point including the pump if it still does not work.
You know where the boiler temp sensor is , so you could boil it up by removing this when it gets really hot it will usually push any air out of the way, it will thump and bang a bit , but dont let it bang for more than 10/15 seconds at a time .
Turn boiler stat off a noise starts this will cut gas.
It may take several attempts to clear it

i just want to say a big thank you to Nams as i ended up back filling the system with the hose pipe so that it came out of the vent pipe and in doing so it forced out all the air.

problem now solved, all up and running now.

Many thanks again

hi all,

last night Namesag was able to help me out in getting the boiler running again but after being awake as of 04:00 thinking CHRIST it's cold i had to get up to look at what has gone wrong.

the boiler seems to only heat theheating cicuit once the hot water circuit is also on, on the, for some reason,

Any Ideas? could it be more pressure in the system?

thanks for you help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back