Regs for shower waste connecting to soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Am a little confused about the regs for a shower waste. Im putting a new shower and WC into a bathroom where there was only a bath and a sink.

Ive created a raised platform for the shower tray ,and am looking at the waste.

Reading few a few places on the net it seems that if i am to connect direct to a soil stack (a new one is being installed as there was never a WC in the bathroom, it was downstairs) that i need a shower trap with a 75mm water seal.

Is this correct, as they are not an easy thing to buy, most plumbers merchants have 50mm seals.

Am i barking up the wrong tree, or is this the way is should be connected.

Alternatively, there is an existing hopper where the old bath waste used to connect to, so i could connect into here?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't think very many people adhere to the 75mm seal tbh, i don't. Just use what fits easy.

You could use a HEPv0 valve instead, perfect for this situation actually.

connect into the hopper ,standard shower trap,no syphon problems,simple

dont use hepvo they dont like having low head of water when mounted horizontally which is usually the case on shower installations.
use 75mm seal if you want to do proper job to last.
shallow seal traps should only be used if ran to a hopper as mentioned but all too often get used as the easy option.
regs are regs for reasons

Sponsored Links
simple and straightforward in my opinion is allways a good way to solve things ,this way will satisfy build regs and the trap can be cleaned from the waste hole by means of a removable filter/basket,be wary of deep traps on showers,hair/scum/soap and god knows what goes down there. merry christmas to all.

dont use hepvo they dont like having low head of water when mounted horizontally which is usually the case on shower installations.
use 75mm seal if you want to do proper job to last.
shallow seal traps should only be used if ran to a hopper as mentioned but all too often get used as the easy option.
regs are regs for reasons

Fitting it further down stream (if possible) will sort that out.

a shower trap can be a min of 50mm or 38mm if into a gully etc.

hepvo are hopeless on horizontal shower wastes and can restrict the flow to much if you need a high flow waste for powerful showers.

a 26 l/min with 50mm seal will be ok.

Alternatively, there is an existing hopper where the old bath waste used to connect to, so i could connect into here?
instead of dancing around with deep seal traps etc shove it into the hopper and end this roundabout thread!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back