bathroom pull switch operates light plus fan (or should do)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house was wired up about 8 yrs ago and a few switches are now giving up the kids bathroom pull switch (light plus extractor fan) came off miraculsly no one knew how but now I am faced with a wiring problem, this occured over christmas having tried a diy repair on the switch I have now got a new one but have become somewhat confused with the wiring as follows;
three sheathed cables containing:
cable one-yellow/green + red + black
cable two-yellow/green + red + black
cable three- yellow/green + red + blue + plain yellow with red added sheath
There is also an extra earth wire on its own

I assume yellow/black all connect to common earth on case

can anyone give advise on the other 7 wires?!
much appreciated

Sponsored Links
I assume yellow/black all connect to common earth on case
No
The Green and Yellow is Earth.

The others have particular purposes.

If you have already disconnected the wires from the old switch :rolleyes: without carefully nmarking them and noting what each does, you will have to work them out.

I expect you have:

Red and Black plus earth = power in from previous lamp
Red and Black plus earth = power out to next lamp, or possibly it goes to the light fitting.
and the other will have permanent live to fan, and switched live to fan.
The Yellow sheathed Red might well be the switched live.

You are going to have to identify each cable and each core to see what they do. I recommend you draw a diagram, and mark each cable sheath with white vinyl tape plus permanent marker pen.

Read the first few posts at the top of this Forum and there are diagrams about lighting circuits.

there was a connector which I think had the two blacks and one blue in it, I also seem to remember that there were two reds paired to the switch and one red paired to yellow with red end and going to another terminal on the switch. Does this sound useful?

not2able

Sponsored Links
One of the red/blacks will be the feed in. You will need a test meter or indicator to find out which one it is.

Having determined the feed in you will need to:

Connect the two blacks and the blue from the 3 core together in a term block.

The red feed in (live) goes to the com on the switch. Also connect here the red from the 3 core.

The red on the other two core cable goes to L1 on the switch. Also the yellow (with the red sleeve) goes here.

All the earths should be sleeved with green/yello sleeving and connected to the earth terminal on the swicth.

That should do it.

Note when i say 3 core I mean the cable that has 3 insulated cores and an earth conductor. When i say 2-core i mean its got two insulated cores and an earth conductor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back