Pull switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am trying to change a pull light switch from the bathroom. i have a red wire, black and a yellow/green wire.
On the new switch i have a hole with COM writen next to it L1 and L2 ,also a brass connection set aside from the others which i take is for the earth yellow/green. can anyone tell me where to stick the other ones please.

Sponsored Links
The earth in the separate brass connection

Red in the com
Black in the L1 (should have a red bit of sleeving on the wire)

(doesn't matter too much if you get red and black the wrong way round)

Adam

It also doesn't matter even the tiniest amount if you use L2 rather than L1, just in case this is physically easier for you....

Sponsored Links
Lectrician said:
Physicaly easier - LOL

Darn big clumbsy cables :rolleyes:
I was thinking of the situation of only a certain amount of sheath removed, and cpc sleeved etc, and the relative positions of the 3 switch terminals..

It could be that the cable fitted more easily into COM/L2/E than COM/L1/E...

surely if you connect to L2 instead of L1, the switch rocker will be in the wrong position? ie. it will appear on when light is off. Just a small point, but it sometimes bugs me when i see this, especially on a 2-way light system - one switch appears on, the other off, when the light is off.

crafty1289 said:
surely if you connect to L2 instead of L1, the switch rocker will be in the wrong position? ie. it will appear on when light is off. Just a small point, but it sometimes bugs me when i see this, especially on a 2-way light system - one switch appears on, the other off, when the light is off.

not if its two way
not if switch is then fitted upside down.

besides it doesnt mater in this case since he said
am trying to change a pull light switch

crafty1289 said:
Just a small point, but it sometimes bugs me when i see this, especially on a 2-way light system - one switch appears on, the other off, when the light is off.
Have you ever seen the fun you can have with 3-way switching?

ban-all-sheds said:
crafty1289 said:
Just a small point, but it sometimes bugs me when i see this, especially on a 2-way light system - one switch appears on, the other off, when the light is off.
Have you ever seen the fun you can have with 3-way switching?
Annoys me too! I believe in a 2-way system in the light is ON, the switches should be in opposite postions, if OFF they should be the same. I have moved into properties and reversed switches just because of this, maybe I'm just pedantic! A 3-or-more way system would drive me mad (perhaps I should get out more ;) )...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back