2 cold radiators

ADH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a new house. All radiators work except 1 in the hall, and in the kitchen where the radiator had been removed. I've put a new radiator into the kitchen and it heated up nicely when it initally filled up but this has also now gone cold. I've tried balancing by switching off all other radiators but no joy, and they don't need bleeding. The outlet pipe of the rad in the hall is hot, but the inlet is cold. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
trv is a valve on the end of the radiator with number on it for adjusting the temprate the radiator cuts in and out

Sponsored Links
They have a temperature valve to turn them on/off - it doesn't have numbers on though. Also, the inlet and outlet are on the same side if that makes a difference.

cant think of the proper name but twin entry valves have a pipe that goes inside the rad to stop the hot water going straight back out
i would make this your first port of call :)

Thanks Kevplumb. It will have to be this weekend's job!

Still no joy. I took the radiators off - the pipe was there but not fitted in too firmly, so fixed it in again and put the rads back on. They filled up with hot water nicely but slowly went cold. Any other suggestions? I was reading another similar post and the pin was stuck was their problem. How do I check this?

Been looking for help wrt thermostat valves on this & other threads.

Basically, there should be a knurled knob under the TRV:

Set TRV to hottest setting, which should allow the pin to raise.
Unscrew the knurled knob, revealing the pin.
Some advice says to tap it gently with a hammer, but I wiggled mine with a pair of grips.
My girlfriend loves me again...

Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back