need super drill for drilling porcelain tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
currently tiling my bathroom with 10mm thick porcelain tiles. floor and wall.
i came to cut for my shower feed and i just couldnt do it.
used a diamond tile core bit and it just wouldnt touch it. 10mins of drilling got me half way through and then it broke :evil:

im now worried about drilling them when i come to fit towel rad and basin etc.

i tried 3 or 4 different bits to stitch the hole and the drill bits had no luck either.

any ideas on a super strenth drill bit?
tahnsk alot
ian

Sponsored Links
I've used the Dewalt Extreme masonry bits with much success when drilling my own 13mm porcelain tiles. Just need to go on a medium speed, stopping often to cool the bit in a cup of water. Don't apply too much pressure, just let the bit do the work. I'm still using the same bits now - even after 15 holes with one of them ! and they're as good as new . . . . . . .

Hope this helps,

Mike

Drill bits designed for tiles are relatively inexpensive, unless you want massive holes, you'll struggle to spend over a tenner. Have a look at these drill bits for tiles. Should have what you are after.

Good luck

Sponsored Links
The tiler who tiled my ensuite used an angle grinder to cut the holes for the wall mounted recessed taps / faucet. I could not have drawn a better circle by hand. He did a perfect job. I asked him how he did it and he told me to did from the other side and just took his time grinding out a hole.

Maybe worth a try on a spare tile

Most diamond cutting bits will be fine armeg is the best but also quite pricey, tileasy also do diamond bits which are surpose to be quite good and aint as pricey but you need to use water and keep them wet while your cutting you also need to make sure you dont apply any pressure as such let it do it in its own time then there less likely to break..... Hope this helps :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back