Drilling holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had the bathroom floor tiled and I'm trying to secure the new toilet to it. Last night I managed to blunt four masonary drils - including a brand new Bosch one which was supposed to be specifically for tiles - trying to make screw holes.

Can anyone recommend a good way to drill tiles, or a good drill that will not blunt in a couple of minutes?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Use a special tile drill bit, drill slowly, NO hammer action. You can get them anywhere really. Oh, and put a piece of tape over the area you wish to drill. To stop the bit wandering, locate the bit where you want the hole, apply pressure, and turn the drill / chuck manually until you have pierced the tile glaze, then drill slowly.

Sounds like your tiles are porcelain - you've no chance with regular masonry bits unless you use water cooling. You need to make a small wall around the hole with blue tac or plasticine etc, then fill with water and drill your hole. The water should keep the drill tip from burning out. Don't drill too fast - it can take a while.
The proper way to do it is with some diamond bits. http://www.hobuk.co.uk/acatalog/Dtas-Diamond-Drill-Bits.html

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back