Drill small screw holes in porcelain tiles

you can get away with a decent masonry bit. You will however, need to build a small plasticine wall around the point you want to make the hole and fill it with water (so obviously this only works on floors). You then drill your hole (on a slow speed). It will take a while, but it will go through eventually.

Remembering to turn the "hammer" action OFF :D
I did this on many occasions before I discovered tile bits.
I still do when the cheap naff tile bit has broken & i'm 1/2 way through the hole :D

Sponsored Links
(Not sure what he's on about Salmonfisher, but if you're ever stuck without a diamond bit, you can get away with a decent masonry bit. You will however, need to build a small plasticine wall around the point you want to make the hole and fill it with water (so obviously this only works on floors). You then drill your hole (on a slow speed). It will take a while, but it will go through eventually)

wouldn't dream of trying to drill a porcelain tile with a masonry drill. if you ant got the tools don't do the job

So if you 1. Loose the tool or 2. Break the tool and don't have a spare. You're going to walk off the job? Get real - that ain't how it works in the real world. You adapt and overcome and move onto the next job and pick up another tool when you can.

I recently had to drill through 10mm porcelain tiles, I found the diamond encrusted bit (£10.50) worked well with a 99p plant sprayer to keep it cool. Need a helper to do the spraying.

I had tried a standard masonary bit, you can actually see it glowing in the porcelain :eek:

Sponsored Links
I had tried a standard masonary bit, you can actually see it glowing in the porcelain :eek:
You will do if you don't submerge the drill whilst it's drilling. This should only really be used as a get out of jail free card, you're always better off using a diamond bit.

I recently had to drill through 10mm porcelain tiles, I found the diamond encrusted bit (£10.50) worked well with a 99p plant sprayer to keep it cool. Need a helper to do the spraying.

thats what he is for :LOL:

oompah.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back