Drill bit for porcelain tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut 3 4mm holes in my porcelain tiles to enable me to fix the channel for my shower screen. The tiles are 7/8mm thick, was wondering what drill bit to use? Would a Masonary do the job considering the smallness of hole or should I use a tile drill or core drill? If core drill how can I keep the bit wet? I will be using a variable speed black and decker power drill, cheers

Sponsored Links
A tile drill bit is obviously your best bet, a decent masonry bit would also do the job. If you have to buy a bit I would recommend one of the multi bits by bosch (they are blue and silver coloured) I use them all the time and they work perfectly on tiles. Whatever you use, keep the drill on a very low speed and don't use a hammer setting until you are completely through the tile. Masking tape on the tile is a good trick to help stop the bit sliding about.

Porcelain generally needs diamond bits,you can go through with masonary bits but so slow and have some water handy to dip the bit in as it will get hot.
I've melted no end of bits over the years.

Thanks for advice guys, bought a universal tile drill bit and tried it out on spare tile, worked a treat

Sponsored Links
Until DISASTER! Tile bit snapped when almost through first hole! Grrrrr!

Sorted! Gave it one more go with another bit, very slowly and kept drill but wet and it worked a treat!!

Well done sir!
I hope you are rewarding yourself with an alcoholic beverage or two!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back