How to drill holes in porcelaine tiles

gms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
What the best way to drill holes for pipe work in italian porcelain tiles.
I have tried masonary drills they blunted within minutes I bought a small arrow headed bit recommended by a local building centre but it broke after the first of a number needed to reach a pipe size hole.
Someone recommended using a piece of copper pipe and carborundum paste with oil as a lubricant. I know I could buy a diamond bit to do it but I only need two 18mm holes for a shower fitting, and being as i am such a poor man with a frugal streak I am reluctant to buy expensive tools to use once.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Garry

Sponsored Links
So you're too tight to spend a few quid on a diamond holesaw. :D
It depends how good a finish you want. Does it need to be a neat hole or have you some fittings that will cover the hole? Are the tiles fitted? If not fitted and you don't need a neat hole, you can cut a square from the back off the tile with a diamond bit in an angle grinder. Otherwise you'll have to bite the bullet and buy a holesaw.

Diamond COATED holesaw will be about £7.70 from the sheds, much less where I get them from, probably less than a tub of grinding paste and the couple of hours it will take you to do it.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Hi All
What the best way to drill holes for pipe work in italian porcelain tiles.
I have tried masonary drills they blunted within minutes I bought a small arrow headed bit recommended by a local building centre but it broke after the first of a number needed to reach a pipe size hole.
Someone recommended using a piece of copper pipe and carborundum paste with oil as a lubricant. I know I could buy a diamond bit to do it but I only need two 18mm holes for a shower fitting, and being as i am such a poor man with a frugal streak I am reluctant to buy expensive tools to use once.

Thanks for any suggestions. is the tile fixed? if not you can do it with a ball hammer and a disc grinder! can see the shock on your face but i doo perfect holes every time for pipes valves any size and any tipe of tile, hears how,
draw where you wont your hole on the tile and doo the exact opp on back off tile then thin the area with the disc grinder then when dished out on back flip over and tap with ball hammer in the centre of where you wont the hole then work it round the edges till you get your perfect hole,
i have been doing thes for over 15 years and tiling for 20.

Garry

you got something to add mally????

hmm i put that when all was there was a quote! now its been edited mine looks stupid :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back