Drilling porcelain tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have some large (60 x 30cm) porcelain tiles which I need to drill several holes to accommodate taps, faucet, basin waste and shower feed pipes. The taps measure 40mm so would require approx 45-50mm diameter drill. I could also use this for the basin waste and the faucet. The shower I would need about a 20-25mm hole.

Would appreciate recommendations for a tile drill set which is suitable for drilling porcelain and accommodates the above sizes.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
any diamond drill bit would do the job, just make sure you use water and dont put the drill on full speed!

Sponsored Links
I think I may get a professional tiler to come and tile. Only tiling a shower and around a sink (about 6 square metres). If it is going to cost me about £55 just for the drills, that could be put to a tiler would do a better job than me. I presume a professional tiler would already have a selection of core drills for drilling various size holes in Porcelain tiles?

if he hasn't got the drills don't hire him

I have had two quotes so far.

1st guy, said no real need to tank the area as the flex porcelain adhesive he uses is waterproof. Said he uses powered stuff, told me it cost £32 a bag. Does have the diamond core drills and seemed to know what he was talking about.

2nd guy, Did recommend tanking if I had a power shower. Doesn't own the core drills. Said he would buy a diamond tipped bit for about £15. Said he would provide his own adhesive in a big tub (sound like he is using pre-mixed stuff). Am I correct in pre-mixed is not great for porcelain tiles.

Both quotes very very similar.

I have had two quotes so far.

1st guy, said no real need to tank the area as the flex porcelain adhesive he uses is waterproof. Said he uses powered stuff, told me it cost £32 a bag. Does have the diamond core drills and seemed to know what he was talking about.
He's misunderstanding what "waterproof" means. He thinks it means that it'll provide a waterproof barrier; but in reality what it means is that the adhesive will not break down when it gets wet. It's a common misconception though.
You're better to have large tiles and no tanking than small tiles and no tanking, but for extra peace of mind I always recommend tanking in showers.
Bal Rapidet flexible costs about £30 for a 20kg bag (current price from Topps tiles, cause I bought some yesterday - tried charging me £50 to start with though ;) ) so he's either using good stuff, or using cheap stuff and charging you a mark up on the adhesive.

2nd guy, Did recommend tanking if I had a power shower. Doesn't own the core drills. Said he would buy a diamond tipped bit for about £15. Said he would provide his own adhesive in a big tub (sound like he is using pre-mixed stuff). Am I correct in pre-mixed is not great for porcelain tiles.
Tub mix is ok for porcelain, however, for large tiles like yours, you definitely don't want to be using pre-mixed adhesive.

Both quotes very very similar.
I'd be steering clear of the 2nd guy.

1st guy, said no real need to tank the area as the flex porcelain adhesive he uses is waterproof
It's always best to tank first (or use backerboards)I tank shower areas and about 30cm round the bath as standard.He can't definatley say no water will get through the adhesive.

Said he uses powered stuff, told me it cost £32 a bag
Won't cost that if he buys it trade,mines costs £14 for 20kg (benfer)unless of course he's buying from topps tiles ;)

Said he would buy a diamond tipped bit for about £15.
A decent tiler carries them as standard.

Said he would provide his own adhesive in a big tub (sound like he is using pre-mixed stuff).
NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO........for that size and porcelain he would be best to use powdered.

IMO a decent tiler should,
supply the adhesive and grout in the price
Have all the bits for drilling
offer tanking as standard
They should factor in cutting holes when quoting and only be charging extra for additional work i.e. not in the quote ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back