Glow plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Changing glow plugs on my van,got 2 out ,no probs. Think 3rd one snapped in half in head,obviously now ive got a big problem.If i replace 3 instead of 4 will still have a good chance of starting my motor,and also what chance have i got removing broken one.Thank you :cry:

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
tbh you are best to try and remove te snapped glow plug with a stub extracter ect, what i normaly do is soak the glow plugs in coke or wd40 and leave over night and then try to remove, best option is to try it with 3 plugs and see how it goes from there sorry i couldnt be of more help regards david

Hi slapper can you tell me what you ended up doing? I seem to have the same problem as you.

I've had a blown glow plug in my VW T5 for four months.
It's a bit ropey on a cold morning, but oither than that it's fine.

any four cylinder diesel engine should start easily with three glow plugs working, you may consider waiting for the light to go out twice, before turning the starter on.

Wotan

Thanks for the reply's the car starts ok at the moment, but I only managed to replace 2 out of 4 and cracked the third. I was wondering if I took it to a garage how would they get them out.

Its a head off job usually - and thats when the fun starts!
Its all too easy to lose bits of the plug into the cylinder if you try too many heroics with the extractors.
John :)

Thanks John. but I think I'll leave that one for someone with more experience than me.

Sponsored Links
Back