Device to alert you to a power failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just after midnight this morning while watching tv the main RCD tripped on the consumer unit. None of the MCBs had gone off. I reset the RCD and checked the fridge etc was back on. Everything was fine afterwards so I went to bed.

This morning woke up and house was cold, water cold. Went in the garage where the boiler is and there was no power. Garage is not attached to the house and is in the garden a couple metres from the back of the house. Garage has its own small consumer unit fed from the main consumer unit. Main switch on the garage consumer unit was off. MCBs were on. Fridge and freezer in the garage had been off all night and defrosted.

If I had not been awake I wouldnt have even know the RCD had tripped.

Is there any sort of device I can install in the house and the garage that will next time alert us to a power failure. For the garage I would need something that has a wireless unit that can be kept in the house to alert us.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
mains coil relay battery and bell (oh and a box to put it in)

or mains coil relay and wirless doorbell

A water leak in the garage caused the RCD to trip and that has been fixed.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back