Compromising on quality

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just had several quotes for replacing my doors and window. There was a £1800 difference from the highest to the lowest and I have decided to go with the cheapest. I was just wondering am I compromising on quality or are they pretty much all the same. Thanks Zippie

Sponsored Links
quality of installation as well as quality of product can vary enormously.

make doubly sure however, that the glass is kite-mark safety standard where necessary, the glazing is low 'e' coated glass and there are trickle vents fitted if necessary.

you may also need knock-on strips fitted where the plaster reveal detail means that the trickle vents or internally opening door hinges interfere or are prohibitive.

Thanks for that reply.
The company is a member of FENSA so I'm guessing that the glass will be kite marked etc?

The company is a member of FENSA

That doesn't mean anything I have seen some shocking installs by FENSA registered installers. Ask for references and if you can see any recent installs.
Who are they by the way someone might know of them and whether they are good or bad.

Sponsored Links
Your quotes are meaningless unless they are comparable in terms of specification.

If you look at someone like Safestyle or similar, they have massive overheads and high commission rates, so quotes can easily be £3-4k more than a one man band for a typical house.

There aren't that many profile sections or section manufacturers, and ironmongery will be similar. So you end up paying similar prices for materials and the rest is labour/profit/overheads.

It's a good idea to get an insurance backed warranty, or pay on finance. Then you will have someone to claim against if need be.

But don't think that the cheap quote is automatically low quality or inferior.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back