Knocking sound from wheels/suspension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Golf Mk4 has developed a knocking sound from the front wheels over the last few months. I'd assumed it was worn bushes and have just had these replaced by a garage but the problem persists as before.

It only happens at lower speeds (30/40mph) on poorly surfaced roads and is completely unoticeable on the motorway.

I started thinking maybe the problem is with the CV joints but there is no noticeable noise when turning, just when driving along on Sheffield's pot holed roads.

Engine mounts? Any ideas...it's driving me mad!

:)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Cheers for the suggestions!

I'll be honest and say that I'm not sure which one of those is most likely so think it'll be another trip to the garage for them to sort it.

what bushes did they change?

Common culprits are:
Anti roll bar bushes
Bottom ball joint
Wishbone bushes
Drop links
Loose front subframe bolts
Top suspension mounts

why dont you just ask a garage for diagnosis, any decent garage will diagnose it in under 2 mins for free.

kind regards

My Golf Mk4 has developed a knocking sound from the front wheels over the last few months. I'd assumed it was worn bushes and have just had these replaced by a garage but the problem persists as before.

It only happens at lower speeds (30/40mph) on poorly surfaced roads and is completely unoticeable on the motorway.

I started thinking maybe the problem is with the CV joints but there is no noticeable noise when turning, just when driving along on Sheffield's pot holed roads.

Engine mounts? Any ideas...it's driving me mad!

:)

D1D you pay?

Back from the garage.

It was the anti roll bar bushes which were changed today. This has cured the knocking sound. The worn bushes replaced last week were the top suspension mounts.

Interestingly the steering feels alot more responsive since the anti roll bar bushes have been replaced. Is this usual or just me imagining it? :LOL:

You'll notice it on the corners more, anti roll bar......... well does what it says, stops the car 'rolling' on bends. When the bushes go there will be play in it, making it wibbly wobbly

^neo^ said:
You'll notice it on the corners more, anti roll bar......... well does what it says, stops the car 'rolling' on bends. When the bushes go there will be play in it, making it wibbly wobbly
Hmmm. This is obviously the reason that the handling had become poor then. Hopefully all sorted now. :)

Sponsored Links
Back