Best way to secure wood trimming/edge on laminate floors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

A friend has laid the floor for me but hasn't put the edging trim on. He said the best thing for a neat job is to get a gun that fires nails.

Does anyone know the proper name for this, roughly how much it costs and how I would use it?

Many thanks
Terri

Sponsored Links
The gun you refer to would not be cheap for a one off job but you could hire one.I tend to use a double sided tape which may take a little longer but it leaves a nice neat job.....http://www.tapes-direct.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=134&products_id=741

Are you on about wood laminate trim?

If so then there is believe it or not a cheap enough staple gun (tacwise) that also fires smallish nails that actually works lol. I bought one from Screwfix as i didnt really have a need for the more expensive paslode thingies which as Jaffa has referred to are very expensive especially for a one off job. I needed something that would allow for descrete nailing and have used it to fix square edge corners to staircase strings and various other places.

Let me know if this is what you are referring to as a trim

Are you on about wood laminate trim?

If so then there is believe it or not a cheap enough staple gun (tacwise) that also fires smallish nails that actually works lol. I bought one from Screwfix as i didnt really have a need for the more expensive paslode thingies which as Jaffa has referred to are very expensive especially for a one off job. I needed something that would allow for descrete nailing and have used it to fix square edge corners to staircase strings and various other places.

Let me know if this is what you are referring to as a trim

Thank you - screwfix here I come! Think I'll get both tackwise and the double sided tape.

Sponsored Links
Terry its a neat little staple gun with the bonus of firing nails too. Once in the nails are hardly visible, only a small dot

let us know how you get on

Btw the double sided tape idea is great too but be carefull not to take the protective seal off all at once. Im sure you would have seen something similar before where you slightly peel one end, put the trim in place and then pull the seal slowly, it will nice and easy come off exposing the sticky part to the floor and catching onto it. A little pressure along the whole piece and your done.

Which ever method you prefer id say will defo work

Terry its a neat little staple gun with the bonus of firing nails too. Once in the nails are hardly visible, only a small dot

let us know how you get on

Btw the double sided tape idea is great too but be carefull not to take the protective seal off all at once. Im sure you would have seen something similar before where you slightly peel one end, put the trim in place and then pull the seal slowly, it will nice and easy come off exposing the sticky part to the floor and catching onto it. A little pressure along the whole piece and your done.

Which ever method you prefer id say will defo work

Hi there

I got the gun from screw fix with a selection of nail sizes, my diy book doesn't suggest a size but I guess 15mm should be ok.

Any tips on getting the trim to bend round a curve? It's the base of the stairs in hallway. I think I should make lots and lots of cuts in the back of the trim and hopefully it will bend.

Many thanks
Terri

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back