Solar hot water with a combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

In the future if we wanted to get a solar hot water system would it be possible to integrate the solar system with the present Vaillant combi boiler we have now?

Sponsored Links
You could add a cylinder which can be heated by solar as well as by the boiler.

You cannot use solar in conjunction with the combi function though.

Solar only heats hot water!

Tony

You could add a cylinder which can be heated by solar as well as by the boiler.

You cannot use solar in conjunction with the combi function though.

Solar only heats hot water!

Tony

Is it not possible to feed the combi boiler with preheated water from the cylinder?

Sponsored Links
Is it not possible to feed the combi boiler with preheated water from the cylinder?

Yes if the boiler manufacturer permits it.
You need to check if your existing Valliant boiler is designed to take in preheated water.

Some combi's can accept preheated water Vaillant say many of theirs cant so you need to ring the technical department.

You will need either an unvented cylinder or thermal store to use solar in conjunction with a combi boiler.

If your boiler is one that cant accept preheated water you can install either a Combisol valve or a TMV backwards that will send the water if hot enough direct to the taps or through the combi if not.

Unfortunately your Vaillant will not accept pre-heated water.

As said, some makes can, other makes can also do this with a special adaptor.

Personally, if I was ever thinking of the solar route in the future, I would not contemplate a combi.

Apart from anything else, most people have combi's fitted because they either want to gain space, or they haven't the space for a HW cylinder.

So why would they have a combi and HW cylinder?

Solar is over rated, over hyped and will never be cost effective until the government gives at least 50% grants towards its installation.

But then that would mean they have to spend some of the indirect taxation they receive from the so called 'green taxes'.

As these taxes are just another source of income and nothing at all to do with being green, they will never spend them on what they appeared to be intended for :rolleyes: :mad:

Thank you for your opinions, we did actually go for the combi option to save space.

Thank you for your opinions, we did actually go for the combi option to save space.

You will need extra space if you want to add solar in the future.

If you wanted to add solar you would have been better fitting a solar ready cylinder and a heat only boiler.

Tony

Solar is expensive to install and you are unlikely to get a return over the medium to long term.

I wouldn't bother with it just yet untill it has improved and costs have fallen.

I have often wondered what you are supposed to do when the radiator in a box on your roof freezes and splits.

Since its on the roof you will need scaffold to safely get up there.

unless they have a frost stat and auto drain feature?

I have often wondered what you are supposed to do when the radiator in a box on your roof freezes and splits.

Since its on the roof you will need scaffold to safely get up there.

unless they have a frost stat and auto drain feature?

they are full of antifreeze similar to engine coolant systems so unlikely to freeze. . . . . .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back