Knocking Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Saunier Duval 80ff.When the system fires up knocking noise starts for about 2 minutes then recedes.When it turns off same thing happens.Was told it was the fan replaced the fan no change.the boiler is 3 years old.But the pipe work is about 25 years old.Have drained down several times and bled the system.the noise is getting louder now.Any advice appreciated.the engineer put a metal bar from the fan to his ear and stated it was the fan.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the speedy reply my friend.Have just looked at the pump.opened the centre screw and water trickles out,is this the norm.
once again thanks for the reply.

Sponsored Links
i have placed a screwdriver on the pump and i cannot hear the knocking.The pump is situated on the second floor and the boiler is on the ground floor.

Kevplumb.
Thanks my friend for your assistance.The boiler as been fine for over 2 years.the pipework as not been touched at all.When you place a screwdriver on the heat exchanger you hear a faint tapping,but when you place it on the fan assemlby it is very loud as this is a new fan and the old one did the same i cannot see that being at fault.It sounds like something is expanding when it fires up then retracts as it switches off.many thanks once again.

kevplumb.
I have been reading the installation notes and assembly instructions for the boiler.And between the heat exchanger and the fan unit there is a gasket.would you say that the gasket would reduce the tapping from the boiler to the fan unit.But this is the opposite the noise from the fan is much louder.I would think that the gasket would act as a baffle between boiler and fan unit.Your information is certainly appreciated.Any ideas if the pipework is o.k.

kevplumb.
Have replaced the fibre gasket. No change.i forgot to mention that it is not a combi boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back