Halogen lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you use dimmer switches with Gu10 halogen lights? I have 2 fittings running off one switch which worked for a while but now it's only working very rarely and only at full brightness when it does. As you can probably tell I'm a complete novice with these things so any advice is gladly accepted.

Sponsored Links
Not being familiar with the actual lamps you refer to
option 1)
If they are low voltage and running from a transformer.
Most normal dimmer switches can not run a conventional transformer with out going wrong (as yours appears to have) you need to have an eletronic transfomer which you can get from (also an electronic dimmer too)

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=10066&ts=55416

Option 2)

If they are mains fed lamps you may have over loaded your dimmer switch, in which case you will need to get a bigger one that can handle the total wattage of your lamps

If you are in America i would suggest you try a local electrical wholesaler

THE GU 10'S ARE 12VOLT LIGHTS YOU CAN USE THEM WITH A DIMMER (IN YOUR CASE I THINK THAT YOU NEED A NEW SWITCH-HOW LONG DID THE OLD ONE ACTUALLY WORK FOR?)

I am gratefull for the fact that you said the lamps are 12 volt, however just changing the switch (to an identical one) is only curing the problem not the cause. it is a popular misconception that a dimmer switch can run any light.

If you look at the link it does say it is "full dimmable"
there is also a dimmer switch made specifialy for "electronic transformers"

it is http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=18588&ts=66712

Sponsored Links
if you have 2 fittings running from 1 switch then you have probably overloaded the switch as most switches will only power one fitting you will more than likely need to replace the switch with a more powerful one or change your bulbs to ones that when all added up only come to the total wattage that the switch can handle (not an expect but daddy is lol :D )

Wonders never cease to amaze . . . Lee has made 3 posts, one in reply to a thread MORE THAN THREE YEARS OLD! I mean, in what manner has he been exploring the forum????

I do hope eamonn martin solved his problem though.

:cool:

GU10's are NOT 12 VOLT.
neither are GZ10's

Gu and GZ 10 lamps have a max rating of 50 Watts each. they will not require high capacity switches. Ie if there is only 2 of the lamps a conventional 200 W or 5 A switch will be adequate

Scott

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back