help. Vibrating noise from roof guttering / felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a vibrating noise which comes from the felt which overlaps the
guttering on our roof ( sounds like a birds wings flapping ) Has anyone any ideas as to how to stop this. ie cutting the felt back or fastening the felt in some way.
It is definately from the felt rattling against the guttering as I have seen it.

Regards Kevin

Sponsored Links
Hi, Is your roof fairly new? if so it probably got breather felt hanging in to the gutter and this is what is vibrating, it should have a heavier felt going in to the gutter like 5u felt and then the beather felt on top but not as long, beather felt should not pass the fascia board for this reason.
Hope this helps
Dave

I see (though not hear) this alot where some plastic DPC felt has been inserted at the eaves and draped into the gutter - usually after a fascia replacement or where the existing felt has rotted at the eaves and some polypropylene felt slid in.

This stuff felt is too thin and reverberates in the wind.

There should be a proper plastic eaves tray fitted, or at least some thick EPDM sections which will be more UV stable than bituminous DPC felt

Thanks for the help, the gutters were replaced along with the facias and soffits a few years ago and thinking back the noise may have been there since then. I will ring the local company which installed them as I know they also removed the lower row of tiles and fitted some new felt

Thanks Kevin

Sponsored Links
I had this and thought is was pipes in the attic. Turned out that it is birds washing in the gutters and flapping about, it may be something else but this is what it was at my house, its has taken me ages to find out. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back