Draining sealed system. No drain off valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a combi boiler and I want to drain the system down and refill it but we have no drain off valve.

I have seen radiator valves with a drain off valve that you can fit and wondered whether it would be worth getting a plumber to fit one?

Sponsored Links
No, but I want to add inhibitor and I don't know what brand is in there and I heard you shouldn't mix brands, hence me wanting to drain the system.

hi - if the PRV is accesable in the boiler then twist it lightly anti clockwise to drop pressure/water out - be warned that if you have a dirty system some debris could prevent the PRV seating properly afterwards -

alternatively (the safest bet) is to isolate 1 downstairs radiator (both sides), crack a nut and drain then rad with an ice cream tub or something, will take upto 20 mins depending on the rad size... then attacth a hose to one of the valves via a hozelock connector or similar and open it up... presto!

**if your adding inhibitor to prvent debris forming it could be too late... the only way to thoroughly remove system sludge is to powerflush the boiler/system throughly**

Sponsored Links
No, but I want to add inhibitor and I don't know what brand is in there and I heard you shouldn't mix brands, hence me wanting to drain the system.

in my personal experiences and chats with manufacturers you mix and match all you want with inhibitors! - the drain cock rad valve is a good idea.. you can do this yourself very easily! save your money

If you get really stuck you can fit a self-cutting washing machine tap to drain down, then fit a proper drain cock when the system's empty.

hi - if the PRV is accesable in the boiler then twist it lightly anti clockwise to drop pressure/water out - be warned that if you have a dirty system some debris could prevent the PRV seating properly afterwards -

Don't do this, you have a high chance that it keeps leaking.
get a plumber to fit a draincock for you; make sure he uses the more expensive type that has an o-ring around the stem, preventing water to leak all over the place when you drain off.

Are you sure that there isn't a drain-off cock under the boiler on the flow or retun pipes (the 2 large pipes that go into the boiler)?

Definetly no drain off valve.

Do I need to drain the system if there is already some inhibitor in of another brand?

no - dont worry about mixing them.. they are all of the same mix and all major manufacturers make them to the same standered (which the manufacturers such as sentinal, fernox, kamco created)

if you already have an inhibitor in the system theres really no need to add another UNLESS the existing one has been there for 5 years + or you have drained the system at some point without inhibiting

you can buy testing strips to see the concentration of inhibitor in the system. Inhibitor contains the same chemical in different makes. 1 litre normally covers 10 rads.

cheers

you can buy testing strips to see the concentration of inhibitor in the system. Inhibitor contains the same chemical in different makes. 1 litre normally covers 10 rads.

cheers

what make are those strips and where do i get them?

I would love to know where I can get these test strips from too. I haven't seen any for sale.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back