Combi Boiler Cutting out, works again when hot water on?!?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, thank you in advance if you can help. Getting very frustrated now!

Combi Vokera Linea 28; aroun 7yrs old

Lost heating last week so my wife and son have been pretty cold.

The boiler used to cut out due to lack of pressure. Error code 2 was the usual issue. So, we were repressurising a lot.

Since then it got better but now has given up the ghost. Boiler temp has gone right up when turning on heating. Boiler on but all rads cold. No error messages and boiler stays on but wont fire up, even if room thermostat is up high.

IF we then turn on hot tap, the boiler fires up and heating works too. So, sometimes we have run a bath slowly just to get the heating working. crazy and not very 'green'. Turn the hot water off and the heating either goes off immediately or within 30mins or so on a good day but temperature on boiler goes up to around 80 again.

Hope I have explianed that ok. I just dont want to pay for things that dont need doing such as a power flush or new boiler as really cant afford that at the moment.

Driving me mad, had central heating cover but they will not help as we havent had annual service because they didnt bother reminding us that we needed one. So, we engaged the plumber they would have sent. Has replaced diverted rebuild kit and actuator at cost of over £200. Problem remains.

He said system needs a power flush.

Any ideas guys.

Thanks again - really appreciate forums such as this.
Scott

Sponsored Links
£200 for diverter service kit and actuator??!!!!!!

System sounds like its full of muck if its overheating and when the hot tap is turned off the internal temp is 80 degress, main heat ex could be blocked, but from whats been described I'd still be sniffing around the diverter section...... if the HW is on and the rads heat then its got to be passing down the wrong port....

Dave T IEng MIGEM

Thanks guys,

Yes £200. Lifetime habit being ripped off I think!

Anyway, now the heating wont work with the hot water running as that's not working either. Just seems that the boiler fires up for a bit and then cuts out.

Oh well, perhaps we'll try another engineer.

Thanks again
S

Sponsored Links
Anyway, now the heating wont work with the hot water running as that's not working either. Just seems that the boiler fires up for a bit and then cuts out.
S

I had the same problem. Check the pressure, see if it's below 1bar? If it is you will need to add pressure via the 'filling loop'.

I would have expected that if you paid £200 to have the boiler repaired then thats what you should expect him to have done!

We would have charged about £144 for what he did !

But the difference is that we would not have done anything apart from what was needed to make it work.

Was the system water all black and nasty? If it was then I agree that a power flush or other treatment is needed but it still sounds as if he did not do what was needed or he did not do it properly.

The usual cry would be "call him back".

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back