Ideal Classic NF80 starting problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there it's my first post so I'm hoping for some replies.

I have an Ideal Classic 80NF boiler and have been having some problems with my fan for about 6 months. It seems a common problem that every now and then the fan sticks. I know how to free it up with some WD40 on the spindle but after my last attempt the boiler is refusing to ignite.

The fan is now spinning freely. When the heating is calling for the boiler to start up, it tries for ages but won't ignite. This has never happened before.

Firstly is this dangerous, or can I leave it longer to try?

Secondly, what could be causing the boiler not to ingnite? I'm assuming that the ignition is electronic and not from a constantly burning pilot light. I certainly can't see any sign of a pilot.

Can anyone advise.

Cheers Jim

Sponsored Links
If the fan won't spin the aps will not be proved, so the pcb will not allow the boiler to start the ignition sequence.

Sounds like time for a new fan :cry:

The fan is spinning, but the boiler just won't ignite.

What do you mean when you say the aps won't be approved?

could be several things is the boiler actually going through its ignition sequence? can you see or hear the ignition and is any sparking occuring have a look through the veiwing glass

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the pointers lads - much appreciated.

I can't see anything like a spark through the viewing window. Just total darkness.

As for noise, it's not making any kind of clicking sound if that's what I am meant to hear.

The fan is definately spinning though. Is it possible for it not to be spinning fast enough? I would have thought that once it was spinning that would be sufficient. It seems to be going pretty fast!

Check that the tubes connecting the fan to the aps are not split or have fell off.

If intact you need to test the aps.

This is however, getting into RGI territory as it is a safety device.

this is the biggest concern i have with this forum
why has he removed the cover in the first place if hasn't got a clue what he's doing

I thought Forums existed to exchange knowledge and ideas.

Could it be the price of repairs temp one or two individuals, or more likely many more, to try and help themselves.

I'm aware of the law and certainly more than a bit safety concious but you certainly shouldn't have the monopoly on knowledge.

Have you never looked under the bonnet of a car, or attempted to fix anything, other that what you were possibly trained to do.

I rarely get uptight about anything, but I think you might like to consider what the purpose of any forum might be!

I thought Forums existed to exchange knowledge and ideas.

Could it be the price of repairs temp one or two individuals, or more likely many more, to try and help themselves.

I'm aware of the law and certainly more than a bit safety concious but you certainly shouldn't have the monopoly on knowledge.

Have you never looked under the bonnet of a car, or attempted to fix anything, other that what you were possibly trained to do.

I rarely get uptight about anything, but I think you might like to consider what the purpose of any forum might be!

well when somebody gets injured or worse because of something they were told on a forum then you will realise what i'm saying

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back