Washing Machine Hotpoint Aquarius 1200 WM34 - no spin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What a way to spend a Sunday! My machine is about 5 years old and has been making a noise on spin for a few weeks now (which I have ignored hoping it would go away!). Anyway, it didn't and now it does not spin at all. We have taken the top casing off and looked in and see that the drum is off centre (which could be the reason I have had trouble closing the door too!). Can you tell we are hopeless DIYers?

I have read other replies as the Hotpoint Aquarius seems to be featured in quite a few (worrying!!). The gas shocks appear in tact and we suspect it could be the door casing which has come away causing the drum to go off centre and there is a dent in the left hand casing where there has been contact. The motor makes a kind of whirring noise on a spinning cycle but doesn't actually move the drum. The drum moves freely by hand in both directions.

So, I have a some questions: - how do we get at the door casing to check that is still in place. At the moment we can move the drum back to its correct position but need to know how to get it to stay there and if we do this will it fix things.? How do we know if the motor is still working and gone? Also the brushes, how do we get at these? If the motor has gone, is it easier to get another machine or should we get someone out to look at the machine?

Hopefully somebody can help me! I'm now about to search the net to check the price of new machines - I thought machines were supposed to last longer than this??? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Im no expert and Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong, but should'nt there be some springs mounted on a bracket on the top of the drum? These springs hold the drum central and are attatched one at the front and one at the rear. If one or other of these springs has broken then the remaining spring will pull the drum out of position as you describe. Not sure why your motor isnt turning, though I would hazzard a guess at the motor brushes needing replacing after 5 yrs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back