"dry line" a plasterboard - Not skim! How?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm rebuilding a stud wall and would like to avoid plastering/skimming it. I think this is possible - I just can't seem to find a good reference for all the steps and materials involved. Can anyone help?

As I understand it I build the studs and nail up the plasterboard (do I need tapered edge plasterboard?). The wall is 230cm high so I should only have vertical joints.

Then I get confused. I think there's jointing tape and jointing compound involved. (And/or caulk? Is that the same?) Then there's sanding.

I also have an internal end external edge to do. So some beading is needed, yes? And how do I do the edges to the ceiling and the other walls?

I guess I might also need some new tools. But what?

The trouble is there seems to be so many different types of board, nail, tape, joint compound and beading!

I'm pretty skilful and not too dumb - I just haven't done anything like this and need some pointers. I might also be able to find out more info myself if only I knew the terms to search for!

A step by step tutorial would be nice - but I bit too much to hope for, I guess... :)

Sponsored Links
The downside to not skimming seems to be that the surface is less re-usable (ie on the re-wallpaper/decorating front). Hm. Any thoughts?
You’ve got it + it'll always look like a cheap DIY job!

Well, that's fair enough. It *is* a cheap DIY job after all! I could always have it skimmed afterwards though, yes? I might even have a go myself... :confused:

Sponsored Links
Well, that's fair enough. It *is* a cheap DIY job after all! I could always have it skimmed afterwards though, yes? I might even have a go myself... :confused:
If it's going to be skimmed, you would use square edge boards rather than taper edge but, yes, it can still be skimmed afterwards.

After a dig round the forums and a chat to a plasterer I've decided it needs to be skimmed. So, now I've to decide whether to get lots of smaller boards I can fit in my car or order some larger boards for delivery. Mm, which is cheapest? Will larger boards fit in the house etc, etc... It never ends!

If it were me? and i was 'skilled' as you say you are?
I'd buy smaller boards for ease of transport and carrying, thus avoiding carriage charges, then spend what you save on carriage on multi-finish and have a go myself. Scrim the joints first though eh. Oh, and you may need a plasterers trowel and hawk, don't go nuts, buy cheap for your 1st job.
By no means am i a pro, but after being shown how to skim (to a degree), i practised plenty and am now proficient enough to do ALL my own walls and the mrs has whored me out on plenty of occasions to do other peoples houses. Not so confident with ceilings, but hey, i'm getting there.

I say go for it dude, the worst is, you get someone in to go over what you've done. If you do a decent job, you've saved a fortune in future plastering and learned a new skill.

Mm, I'm heading that way, kjacko. I have already done some patching up in a couple of rooms and the results aren't perfect but not too bad. It's given me a feel for it so I'm keen to have a go.

The issue is this is a section that needs rebuilding of a larger stud wall so there will be some feathering into the surrounding wall to be done. Or I skim the lot which might be a bit much for my muscles.

My Qs were geared to tearing it all down and doing the whole thing (as I said, possibly too much for me) so I pondered not skimming it at all. It would mean a lot of joints if using small boards or delivery charges for larger ones (and some help from a friend to move/fit them - and I want it done this week before I start a new job!).

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

And I'm on a tight budget too...

What's the total size of your wall? Is there a doorway in it?
I wouldn't feather in unless its a huuuuuge wall, just skim the lost.
Get a single 900x1200 board and practice on that.
It won't cost too much.
Approximation:
900x1200 boards = <£3 each
25kg multifinish (covers 10sqm iirc) = <£6
Cheap Trowel and hawk = <£18
Scrim tape = <£4 (easily)

It's a convincing argument! I already have some of the tools/materials.

No doorways, just a light switch on one side and a couple of plug sockets on the other. Couple of corners too though...

The bits to patch are 127 and 185+55+15 (external and internal corner!). All are 230 high.

If I rip it down and board the whole thing it's 315 and 315+55+15

I make that over 16sqm. So two bags of multifinish and probably four buckets of plaster. So I'll need a paddle for mixing. I can't find an example on the web. Could you point me in the right direction?

3.15 and 3.15+0.55+0.15 = 7.00
7x2.3 = 16.1sqm

Small boards (120x90x9.5mm) are 3.17 each (15% off for more than ten; so £2.69) Which means at least 15 of them: £40.35. Or just six large boards (240x120x12.5mm). (DO check my sums by all means!)

I just got a quote for *seven* 240x120 boards (thicker too!) delivered for £50 from Wickes. That doesn't seem too bad (it includes £18 delivery). And I just got assurances from a mate's wife that he's free at the weekend to help fit them. Pretty nasty of me that - he's no excuses now! :)

So It's looking like I'll rip the whole thing down (or make the best of the existing studs) and board the whole lot to try and make the best job I can.

The left overs from that seventh board will help me get my hand in.

Now I just need to get clear on how to "Join" my new wall the the ceiling...

Thanks for pumping my enthusiasm up on this!

Diy stores charge about £5 for a mixing paddle that you attach to a drill. Got mine from a local market for £1. I've had it about 5 years now and its been fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back