Protherm 80e combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone out there help.
I am having problems with my Protherm 80e boiler.
when I run the hot tap the boiler only reaches about 50degrees and cuts out,and only comes back on when it has cooled down to about 20 degrees.
it has various new parts fitted but it still does not work,
parts fitted are new thermistor,diaphram,pcb,and the heat exchanger has been descalled.

any new ideas?

Sponsored Links
Depends how old your boiler is ,the fault could be the hot water heat exchanger partially blocked.Drain boiler and remove but dont loose O rings flush out and refit If the water is not going through fast enough it will cut out on overheat stat,then keep fireing on then off.Hope this any help

it has various new parts fitted but it still does not work,
parts fitted are new thermistor,diaphram,pcb,and the heat exchanger has been descalled.

any new ideas?

I think that you mean that all those parts have been changed but the boiler still does not work!

The question then arises as to who decided to change those parts?

If its a professional then DONT PAY for parts which dont cure the problem!

If it was you who chose to change them then thats your own fault and a competent boiler engineer would have been cheaper!

Tony

PS Its all very well saying the "heat exchanger" has been descalled but WHICH ONE ? There are two !

Sponsored Links
Its all very well saying the "heat exchanger" has been descalled but WHICH ONE ? There are two !
Interesting. In your experience, how often does the main heat exchanger need to be descaled?

During the last seven days I have done two of each!

In each case both needed treatment !

Tony

Treatment to descale the main HEs to remove ( mostly) calcium compounds and treatment to the plate HEs to ( mostly ) remove metal oxides.

Tony

Treatment to descale the main HEs to remove ( mostly) calcium compounds and treatment to the plate HEs to ( mostly ) remove metal oxides.
Sorry about this, Golf Bravo Niner, but you're breaking up.

For a moment I thought you said that you're seeing calcium build-up on the main HE and metal oxides on the DHW HE.

Please repeat. I repeat, please repeat. Over.

it was the plate heat exchanger which was descalled. and all the work was done by A British gas engineer, who now says I need A new Boiler

it was the plate heat exchanger which was descalled. and all the work was done by A British gas engineer, who now says I need A new Boiler

A ****ish gas engineer whose incompetence has resulted in random parts replacement, now there's a surprise. :rolleyes:

He's also on commission to sell you a (vastly overpriced) new boiler.

If you have a bg 3* contract insist that the senior engineer comes out and fixes the problem, thats what you pay for!

Better still ask them to send a group service engineer at their cost.

Whats a senior engineer?

Whats a group service engineer?

How to they relate to a TSM ?

Tony

Whats a senior engineer?

Whats a group service engineer?

How to they relate to a TSM ?

Tony

a senior engineer is a TSM
group service is the makers engineers (protherm owned by vaillant)

a senior engineer is a TSM

Not really as TSM stands for Technical Support Manager. 2 of the TSMs on my patch have no engineering background :rolleyes:

The senior engineer is usually the older looking guy that the TSM picks out from the guys available that day

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back