Railway Sleepers in Garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garden has three levels to it. The main level has railway sleepers that retain the soil/grass. These were installed by the previous house owner and I am concerned about the possible ill effects that the oil soaked wood can have.

I have 2 questions,

1. Do you think these sleepers can be lifted and replaced without having to remove the soil/grassed area that they retain beforehand

2. I understand that the imbedded oil can soak into the ground soil and taint it causing problems in plant growth etc. I have just placed Raised beds above the area where these sleepers currently sit will any Vegetables I grow there be safe to eat?

Sponsored Links
there are several types of sleeper
new pretend sleepers untreated or safe
new sleepers
creasote treated
sodden with oil
treated with modern preservatives

now do you know what catagory they fall within !!!!!

1. Do you think these sleepers can be lifted and replaced without having to remove the soil/grassed area that they retain beforehand

only one way to find out.

how about a picture of said sleepers.

how to add a picture is in forum information

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. If as we suspect it is tar then do you think these sleepers can be lifted and replaced without having to remove the soil/grassed area that they retain beforehand?

Those are genuine railway sleepers. They were soaked in creosote and old engine oil for 2 weeks.

do you think these sleepers can be lifted and replaced without having to remove the soil/grassed area that they retain beforehand?

try it and see.

depends if said creosote has gone into the ground

you should be able to remove them without disturbing too much. Be aware they are VERY heavy to handle.

You could replace them easily and quickly with new softwood treated ones or oak ones. they are around the £20 mark each

I would leave them there they will not do any harm

apart from weeping creosote and oil in the hot weather and smelling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back