How much can be planed from doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're wanting to replace some doors in the house but want to do it for about £40 to £50 max per door. This seems to leave us with a choice of pine panneled doors from B & Q as the only option due to the sizes with it being an old flat, but all the doors they sell say only 5mm can be trimmed from each edge.

Is this an absolute maximum or do these places tend to give a very conservative amount? Im guessing maybe its because they are hollow and will buckle but hopefully I could squeeze a bit more out of it.

Sponsored Links
if you plane any more than 5mm a side it will weaken the door significantly!
as far as i am concerned these doors are flimsy enough before planing.

i suspect your after an inch [1/2 each side] the answer is no ;)

I speak from experience. 10mm off each side...it ended up like rolf harris's wobble board :cry: and never lasted a week :oops: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
you can actually do what you propose, but firstly you would have to remove the framing from the top and bottom, cut the door to size and then glue the wood back in place.

Thanks. I think thats a little too advanced for my skill levels and time is also pressing here. I'll see if I can ge a joiner out to supply and fit I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back