Can anyone recommend a weed control membrane?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently lifting the gravel in my garden to put down a weed control membrane as the previous owner forgot to and I hate weeding!

I've had a look around my local builders merchants and diy stores and have seen various ones but can anyone recommend a particular fabric? It's goign under gravel for foot traffic only so I don't think I need to spend a huge amount on it. I was going to get Homebase's at £9.79 per roll (12m x 1m) buy one, get one free from their internet site unless someone comes up with something better.

Thanks in advance, David

Sponsored Links
dont touch it its crap. go for plantex. a 2 x 25m roll should be about 35-40 pounds. we use it all the time. never any problems

I'd seen Plantex in my builder's merchants, I take it that it's worth the extra cash? It's about £50 for a 2x25m roll. I've also seen TDP50 which is cheaper, what's the difference?

Is that the light grey, almost white stuff? If so i got some 2 years back, very good stuff, nothing has got through yet :)

Sponsored Links
I'd seen Plantex in my builder's merchants, I take it that it's worth the extra cash? It's about £50 for a 2x25m roll. I've also seen TDP50 which is cheaper, what's the difference?

tdp50 is made by them for TP. its very good stuff. The stuff sold in diy sheds is tissue paper and will not last more than 18 months. Plantex is excellent. we use it all the time. You can tell how bloomin tough it is by the fact it actually blunts stanley knife blades! Make sure you lap it by 300mm at all joints.

I take it that by TP you mean Travis Perkins? I've got them and Keyline - which seem to be the same comapny - both selling Plantex but another, smaller builder's merchant has TDP50 and it's only £28 for a 2x25m roll. As this so much cheaper that's why I'm wondering if it's as good as Plantex. So it's either TDP50 or Plantex, whichever you'd recommend. Thank you!

I've measured up and I'm off to the builders merchants for some Plantex for the garden.

Got the Plantex now, looks pretty thick compared to what I've seen elsewhere, should last a long while. To hold it to the ground is it best to use the metal staples that push into the ground? And to cut it I take it a straight edge and stanley knife will do the job?

Thanks for the suggestion but my girlfriend and I are planning children sometime in the future and gravel and membrane will be easier to lift and replace with turf than concrete will! Maybe I'm just lazy..... :D

stanley knife will be fine. we use plastic pegs, but you can use hoops of wire if not. the gravel will hold it down, its just the edges and the laps you need to peg really

Thank you once again. I saw the metal loops so I've got some of them for around the edges. Now I know what I'll be doing this weekend! Take care.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back