Gravel weight by volume and trailer size...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh the irony....I have a sand and gravel quarry just 3-4 miles away. They only deliver with a 21T lorry which would struggle to get in as the turning is tight and the delivery costs are huge. I've 135sqm to gravel probably using their 10-14mm rounded grey stuff. I have a Daxara trailer (1.45m x 1m x 0.4m). If the trailer was filled each load would cover 14.5sqm at 40mm deep. so 10 trips. The volume of the trailer is therefore 0.58 cumecs. Can anyone advise if a full trailer would exceed the recommended max load of 540kg.
What volume are the tonne bags sold by builders merchants approximately, which are probably not an actual tonne?

I don't mind doing the round trips, and with my small trailer I can hopefully push it around the house to tip it where it's needed. If I got a huge load I'd be handballing it from one drop point........
If I did half a trailer it's 20 trips? But I finish work at 2 pm each day so it would only take 2 trips a day for 2 weeks(10 days) to get the stuff, much less of a psychological battle than some huge mound! (or a bit over at 600kg would be 8 days :p )

Sponsored Links
850-900kg in a ton bag of aggregate. You probably need about 10 tonnes.

The quarry may not want to deal with you if you're going to want to collect your order in 10 or 20 visits though.

Twin axle trailer a good shovel with a long handle and Weetabix (for energy)............ :D

Ask the quarry first, because they may not allow you to load it manually yourself (Health and Safety). The loaders most quarries have, will be to big to load your car trailer. You might know someone (or they might) with a small 7.5 tonne tipper lorry or even a dump trailer? But, yes transport is expensive

Sponsored Links
I asked at the quarry a while back for prices for various materials per tonne and was told that they could do small loads on these trailers no problem- they probably just use the corner of the bucket!

The main problem where I live is the shared driveway....whilst being good neighbours and friends, our neighbour has taken his garden right to the edge of the shared road, I kept my fence 1.3m back so it means a real problem getting big vehicles in especially for turning...I did subtly tell him that on the plans we don't own the land to the road there should be a margin....pain in the backside when it's under snow too..... :mad:

Plant hire is minimal around here but I will ask around....

The quarry used to own a 17t truck that could get in but they only operate 21t units now....

Are there any local builders or landscapers with 3.5t or 7.5t tippers that would deliver it?

Found a quarry(Quarry A) just north of Aviemore that could have delivered gravel to ours using skips- 2 x 8T loads would have been £290 all in- sounded great but we went there to see what their gravel was like and too much pink granite in it and not graded too well so that's out the question. Went back to the original quarry(Quarry B) and looked at their stuff again. Definitely what we want in the 10-14mm but we've decided to go for angular as it's easier to walk on as it binds better.
Still got the transport issue but Quarry A that does skips also hires 7.5T tippers....next call will be how much for a days hire. We need some more road sub base/type 1 to extend our parking/turning area too(Which we already have and is from Quarry B!) so if I go for a days hire I'll be working it the full day to get as much material into the garden as possible- including some sharp sand and concrete mix....Which Quarry B does as well....and maybe some soil too for the raised beds....

Maybe the hire of a tipper is best- Quarry B is only a 6 mile round trip could get a huge amount shifted in a day!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

FFS....despite it on their website they don't hire tippers, they do however hire 17T tippers and/or the skip idea at 48+vat per hour.... but that means coordinating the truck from one company to be able to access quarry from the other company 2-3 times if using the skip method. What a total pain in the.....this is starting to be!!!

Starting to think I'm going to need to revamp the entrance to my garden drastically....

Did you try A Ross & Sons (now Leiths) near daviot, I think I heard they have a smaller wagon, might be wrong though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back