Pricing up a job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I'm setting out down the route of self employment but am not sure exactly how to price up jobs competitively while ensuring I earn a living.

Previously I've only been doing plastering for myself while property developing and for family and friends for some pretty damn cheap rates. However, I no longer have a full time job so I need to make this pay full time wages for me, without overcharging.

I've been to look at a job today and am wondering what I should charge. It's in Liverpool so is a 70 mile round trip which I'll have to factor in.

It's basically both sides of two stud walls which have been erected in the corner of a large room to form a separate room so it's a nice easy simple scrim and skim. Dimensions of the walls are 4.2m wide x 2.6m high and 3.75m wide x 2.6m high. The internal dimensions are more or less the same, give or take a couple of inches. There's a door in each wall but no sockets or switches which makes it even easier.

Therefore, not taking the doorway into account, one wall is just under 11 sq m each side and the other is just under 10 sq m each side. That's a rough total of 40 sq m. At £6 per sq m that's £240.

I only need a quarter roll of scrim (there's a sh**e load of joints because they used small plasterboard!), one angle bead and four bags of plaster to that's about £25 in materials leaving £215 profit (although there is the time and cost of a 70 mile round trip too.

Now to me, that seems reasonable, until I figure that the job is as simple as they come and it will probably only take me a day ( a long day because I'll be mixing for myself).

I don't want to over charge but also, without being greedy, I don't want to under charge either. Granted, if I could get £200 for a days work every day then I'd be earning £1,000 a week but the truth is, some days earnings will be less than £100 so it sort of balances out. I've also got unpaid holidays etc to take into account now too.

If you're a plasterer, what would you charge for such a job? I think I'm going to end up reducing the price before I send the quote out but I'd be interested in comments first. I don't know if it's my conscience telling me to drop the price or what but I'll have to lose the conscience soon or I'll not make any money.

Cheers

Fred

Sponsored Links
I can only add my perspective as a customer...

Where the plasterer comes from is irrelevant to me. Incidentally, I don't like paying materials seperate from labour. I'd rather be told in one go the whole price. Less to quibble about then at the end.

I expect to pay about £250 to £300 for labour and materials for 'one days' work.

One days work to me is skimming a 10ft by 10ft room, walls and ceiling.

In a nutshell, the guy I use charges £215 per day for 2 people (young lad who mixes, he plasters)

Another guy I know does it ALL himself and charges £150 per day - but he'd probably do half as much in a day.

This is in SE England btw

Cheers trotter,

So 10 x 10 room, including ceiling for £250 - £300. So the area I'm skimming in total is not much less than that I guess although I don't have the hassle of doing a ceiling. You're SE England though which is likely to be a bit more expensive.

As for labour and materials, I won't be quoting them separately. As a customer I hate that sort of thing too.

Also, re where the plasterer comes from, I agree and I wouldn't ever say to a customer it's x amount because I've got to factor in travel. However, from my own perspective, the job's got to be worth my while.

From what you've said I dont think I'm too wide of the mark but could probably do with trimming the price downwards by £40 or £50.

Thanks again for the reply.

regards

Fred

No probs

I think people also understand that they might have an area that is a bit smallish - but it's a day of your time...you can hardly charge by the hour and scoot off to the next job at 3pm...

btw my plasterer is cheapish - young lad building his rep...he doesn't advertise or anything because he gets recommended. He doesn't do site jobs so he's always available within a week or two tops, he doesn't book in work at weekends which means he has slack for rush jobs that crop up. He makes a very healthy living from smallish word of mouth jobs, one/two days at a time stuff.

Might be best to work out your 'day rate' regardless of the size of job...if it takes most of a day, that's that...and maybe do 'half day' rates for small jobs where you can squeeze them in?

Sponsored Links
I normally pay 250 for a days wet plastering including materials and labourer, so you sound OK but maybe a bit on the high side since you won't have a labourer.

I'm in SW England.

Good luck with setting yourself up.

I charge £200 per day plus materials. For what its worth people often have trouble getting a spread to do the small jobs - I still would charge either half a day or a full day depending on how long I'm there. Generally though I try to steer clear of these types of jobs.

Cheers Makitaman,

£200 a day plus materials is a nice earner although obviously I'm up north which means I should probebly charge less.

Trouble is at the moment that I don't want to scare people off by quoting too high. I guess once my diary starts getting full I can start charging more without the fear of missing out on jobs.

Out of interest, the job above (40 sq m, nice and simple, no sockets or fixtures other than 2 doorways, no ceiling), how long would that take you?

Thanks again.

Fred

speaking as a homeowner, a really good job, with a clean, tidy and well-behaved plasterer who sticks to his quote, would make a better impression than one who wasn't, but charged a bit less.

Clean overalls and smart van make more difference than you would think in creating a good impression, even though plastering is a messy and dusty job. You are a guest in their home.

Always leave your card after successful completion of the job "in case you need me again" and if they are pleased they will tell their chums about you.

If the customer didn't make a good impression on you, don't leave a card, and be too busy if he wants you again.

John,

I couldn't agree more. I have a policy of not providing estimates. I provide quotes. Regardless of trade, i hate estimates, even if by and large the final price is the same as the estimate, I think the terminology is completely wrong and gives completely the wrong impression. An impression that "this is an estimate and I may hike the price if I so wish".

I provide a quote based on what I see. When pricing a job I think of the potential for something largely unforseen happening and will possibly factor this in if the risk of such a circumstance occurring is high. If something goes wrong that was beyond my control and I have to put it right then so be it, its in my time and at my cost. It's something I should have factored in in the first place and is therefore my error which I am responsible for. Simple as that. The price quoted is and will always be the price paid.

As for a smart van, I don't have one. I use my car and a trailor and at the start of the day my outfit is clean. At the end of the day it isn't but I take the overalls off and I look vaguely respectable again. I also make sure I sheet up properly at the start of the job (it may take time at the start of the job but it also saves time at the end) and I also have a stock of those blue "swimming pool shoe covers" which I slip on if I need to leave the room I'm plastering, even if I've put sheets down in the hall or stairs.

Basically, I treat other's homes as I would like them to treat mine if the role was reversed. There's enough sheisters in this world without me, new to the game, adding to the numbers.

Regards

Fred

Hi Fred

From what you've described it is a days work - on my own. So £200 plus materials.

Its difficult when you first start up and many of your thoughts mirror mine a few (or more) years ago. Keep your prices competitive but realistic, I think your pitching about right. As you get faster and your reputation spreads (no pun intended) then when confident raise your prices. You must absolutely leave the job in pristine condition, clean everything up, all the customer then sees are their nice new ceilings and walls.

Don't forget a good days work can be finished by 2pm if you crack on :D

Thanks all for your input.

I quoted £200 fully inclusive and got the job.

Doin' it Monday. Well chuffed. Start the week with a good 'un.

Stuck an ad in a couple of the local rags which went out yesterday. Nowt yet. I wasn't expecting them to produce much and it's only early days anyway but thought it's worth trying so I know one way or another if it's worth it.

Got another ad going out in a local business directory on 1st June. I reckon that'll be more effective. Full page (A5 guide) ad.

Thanks again everyone. And thanks for the well wishes of starting up.

regards

Fred

Good luck Fred, I hope it works out for you.

I wish I had the balls to go it alone.

Worth poping into ALL local estate agents ,letting agents etc.and introducing yourself.Cost of advertising -zero.
How about mailshot.Get something done on you pc and when your working drop some in the surrounding houses.

As a newbie you will find the likes of yellow pages/Thompson very tempting.They can be expensive and you may not get your money back.

Building your reputation up will take time.If your work is spot on,you are clean and professional you should be ok.

The hardest part of being self-employed is knowing your own worth and what to charge.That comes in time.Maybe worth phoning a few competitors up to get estimates for an " imaginary" job.Naughty i know but it will at least give you some idea as to rates in your area.
Good luck
Paul

:)

FredFlintstone said:
Thanks all for your input.

I quoted £200 fully inclusive and got the job.

Doin' it Monday. Well chuffed. Start the week with a good 'un.

Stuck an ad in a couple of the local rags which went out yesterday. Nowt yet. I wasn't expecting them to produce much and it's only early days anyway but thought it's worth trying so I know one way or another if it's worth it.

Got another ad going out in a local business directory on 1st June. I reckon that'll be more effective. Full page (A5 guide) ad.

Thanks again everyone. And thanks for the well wishes of starting up.

regards

Fred

Do a google for plasterers in your area

It should flag up some free sites where you can list yourself...

werewolf said:
Worth poping into ALL local estate agents ,letting agents etc.and introducing yourself.Cost of advertising -zero.
How about mailshot.Get something done on you pc and when your working drop some in the surrounding houses.

As a newbie you will find the likes of yellow pages/Thompson very tempting.They can be expensive and you may not get your money back.

Building your reputation up will take time.If your work is spot on,you are clean and professional you should be ok.

The hardest part of being self-employed is knowing your own worth and what to charge.That comes in time.Maybe worth phoning a few competitors up to get estimates for an " imaginary" job.Naughty i know but it will at least give you some idea as to rates in your area.
Good luck
Paul

:)

yell.com do a free one liner as ive just put one in ;)

Sponsored Links
Back