DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Temperature control knob on Vaillant eco Tec Plus

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
fm123

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I just realised that one of the two control knobs on my Vaillant ecoTec Plus boiler has fallen of the control panel. It seems to have been broken off by someone who used too much force to turn the knob.

I cannot seem to "just" stuck it back in and turn to control the radiator temperature. As it seems to have been broken, ordering a replacement knob also might not help.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks,

FM
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
mickyg

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote

you need a new knob! might have to pull the pcb out if the rest of it is still stuck inside. icon_cry.gif
 Alert Moderators
DIYnewbee99

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

I know this is an old thread (well, nearly 4 months, but seems to be the exact same problem I have just found, so didn't duplicate).

I had a new Vaillant ecoTEC plus 937 installed in the autumn. All been well, boiler runs fine etc. Heating/water running ok (still).
I switched off the heating at the programme panel (in the kitchen) as not needed heating on recently (last 2-3 months).
Boiler located in the garage and I went in there tonight to adjust the hot water temp on the boiler's control panel and the display did not adjust this time when I turned the knob at all. In fact the knob was loose and just came out of its recess icon_eek.gif
I had a look at the central heating one below and this was also loose. icon_confused.gif

It looks in both instances like the little plastic shaft at the centre of the knobs has sheared off in both cases. So now turning the knobs has no effect! icon_evil.gif

I guarantee I was not heavy handed at all at any stage. We've not got kids, so not likely there. icon_wink.gif

Has anyone else seen this with Vaillant boiler control panels before?

I was wondering if now the boiler has been 'cool' for a long period, if the knobs were a bit snug and that contraction in some way has strained them?

TIA

Is anyone aware of a m
 Alert Moderators
scatmanjohn

from Brazil

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Has anyone else seen this with Vaillant boiler control panels before?

Lots of times.. the reason....they are just carp.

Ring vaillant and ask for a new set...they will probably deny they know about the problem. icon_rolleyes.gif
 Alert Moderators
DIYnewbee99

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote

scatmanjohn wrote:

Lots of times.. the reason....they are just carp.

Ring vaillant and ask for a new set...they will probably deny they know about the problem. icon_rolleyes.gif

Had suspected as much. icon_sad.gif

Thanks for the prompt reply.
 Alert Moderators
brentfine

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote

My water temp knob broke off when I put no pressure on it all.
Vaillat came and replaced it.
Their engineer said that they are a kind of a fuse, in that they break to stop undue pressure being put on the part they control. He said he'd replaced "a few" but that those he'd replaced hadn't needed further replacement.
Carp? Maybe not. could be mullet or cod.
 Alert Moderators
kleykenb

from Belgium

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:09 am Reply with quote

Both knobs came off 2 days ago. (Vaillant eco Plus 296)
Bad-knob day.

So now I'm stuck, the people who installed them say that I should be able to just 'click' it back in place but this is absolutely not the case and I have no idea what mechanism kept it in place so I can not 'reason' how to do this.
I looked at Vaillant's webiste but ordering a knob directly from them is probably going to be a complete pain as they try to direct you to the installing company first.
So are any of you capable of posting a picture of what the knob looks like when it is not broken ? I assume that my knobs are broken but I do not really see where it broke off from... Very strange.
I have a red plastic 'thingy' that fits inside the knob but it's only purpose seems to be to make noise when the knob is turned and other from that there's just the knob which has a 'stem' about an inch (2.5cm) long.. not long enough to click inside anything ! Was that stem longer originally ? Is that what broke off because there is no obvious sign of 'damage' at the end of it.
 Alert Moderators
Ania

from Poland

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote

kleykenb wrote:
Bad-knob day.

So now I'm stuck, the people who installed them say that I should be able to just 'click' it back in place but this is absolutely not the case and I have no idea what mechanism kept it in place so I can not 'reason' how to do this.
I looked at Vaillant's webiste but ordering a knob directly from them is probably going to be a complete pain as they try to direct you to the installing company first.
So are any of you capable of posting a picture of what the knob looks like when it is not broken ? I assume that my knobs are broken but I do not really see where it broke off from... Very strange.
I have a red plastic 'thingy' that fits inside the knob but it's only purpose seems to be to make noise when the knob is turned and other from that there's just the knob which has a 'stem' about an inch (2.5cm) long.. not long enough to click inside anything ! Was that stem longer originally ? Is that what broke off because there is no obvious sign of 'damage' at the end of it.
Hello,my problem is same-the heating knob fallen off icon_sad.gif Getting colder every day an I dont know,what to do.Have You solve that knobs problem?
 Alert Moderators
Agile

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote

If the boiler is not under the warrantee then the normal thing is to ask ther installer to bring new ones at the annual service.

They are not essential for the boiler operation and once set dont really need changing.

Tony
 Alert Moderators
kleykenb

from Belgium

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote

Ania wrote:
kleykenb wrote:
Bad-knob day.

Hello,my problem is same-the heating knob fallen off icon_sad.gif Getting colder every day an I dont know,what to do.Have You solve that knobs problem?

Ok. I can help you now icon_smile.gif
First off, I send an email to Vaillant telling him that I had this issue after I found out that the part you need is 1117319 (which are actually 3 knobs in a plastic bag, 2 big ones and one small one, the ones that are on the front panel).
They send me the part for free since it was still in Warranty.
The repair itself isn't hard really but obviously you can always have somebody do it for you.
What needs to be done : first take the front cover off, there is only ONE screw that you need to loosen for this : it is underneath the CV heater, right at the front. Once that is loose you can take the whole front metal sheet off.
Now you can see the innards , you will see that where the knobs go in is really a plastic box. And this plastic box can be released from teh frame easily, no screws or anything. Then you can open the plastic box open, if you wiggle with it you will probably already hear that there is something loose inside : it's the stems of the broken off knob(s) !
Look at the box, I believe there are 4 plastic lips that you need to loosen (just tilt them over the knobs that hold them in place). Once inside you will see the socalled motherboard, or PCB. And you will see that are two round places that oppose the place where the knobs would be inserted.
You may have to release the PCB (also held with plastic thingies) to remove the broken plastic stems but once they are gone you can easily insert the new knobs from the front. You will need a little power to click them in place though. The new knobs will have a longer stem than the original ones. Note that you can already get your heater to work without the knobs : all you need to do is take something that fits inside the round shapes on the PCB and turn them in the right direction (you can also use the broken off stem for this : just place it in the round shape and turn it counterclockwise to turn up or clockwise to turn down the 'volume'.

best regards, if you need more help just let me know.
Benny
The following 2 users say thank you to kleykenb for this useful post:
beeline23 (20 Oct 2011), Ania (9 Oct 2009)
 Alert Moderators
kleykenb

from Belgium

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote

Agile wrote:
If the boiler is not under the warrantee then the normal thing is to ask ther installer to bring new ones at the annual service.

They are not essential for the boiler operation and once set dont really need changing.

Tony

Also note that you may not have to open up your thing at all once you have the knobs : just insert the knew knobs and push them in. A little extra force will be needed at the end for them to click firmly in place.
This would however mean that the broken off stems remain inside, they are plastic and can't do much harm however .
But if you want to turn it on right today you will have to follow the procedure above.
 Alert Moderators
Agile

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote

To do that you would have to look through and see if the broken bits are still lodged inside the hole in the potentiometer.

It may be possible to push them through but it might not be possible.

Tony
 Alert Moderators
kleykenb

from Belgium

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote

Agile wrote:

Tony

Yes you are right : best to have the installer do this.
Except of course that they ARE essential when you need them to turn your central heating on (turning it off is less essential because you can always pull the plug, I suppose)!
And when you don't really fancy living in a cold house for days befor the installer can spare the time to come fix your 3 silly knobs icon_smile.gif
My installer in fact simply stopped answering to my emails when it became apparant that he actually needed to do something ! I bet he didn't see much profit in fixing something under warrantee and decided that ignoring my existance was the more profitable option for him.
 Alert Moderators
Ania

from Poland

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote

kleykenb wrote:
Ania wrote:
kleykenb wrote:
Bad-knob day.

Ok. I can help you now icon_smile.gif
First off, I send an email to Vaillant telling him that I had this issue after I found out that the part you need is 1117319 (which are actually 3 knobs in a plastic bag, 2 big ones and one small one, the ones that are on the front panel).
They send me the part for free since it was still in Warranty.
The repair itself isn't hard really but obviously you can always have somebody do it for you.
What needs to be done : first take the front cover off, there is only ONE screw that you need to loosen for this : it is underneath the CV heater, right at the front. Once that is loose you can take the whole front metal sheet off.
Now you can see the innards , you will see that where the knobs go in is really a plastic box. And this plastic box can be released from teh frame easily, no screws or anything. Then you can open the plastic box open, if you wiggle with it you will probably already hear that there is something loose inside : it's the stems of the broken off knob(s) !
Look at the box, I believe there are 4 plastic lips that you need to loosen (just tilt them over the knobs that hold them in place). Once inside you will see the socalled motherboard, or PCB. And you will see that are two round places that oppose the place where the knobs would be inserted.
You may have to release the PCB (also held with plastic thingies) to remove the broken plastic stems but once they are gone you can easily insert the new knobs from the front. You will need a little power to click them in place though. The new knobs will have a longer stem than the original ones. Note that you can already get your heater to work without the knobs : all you need to do is take something that fits inside the round shapes on the PCB and turn them in the right direction (you can also use the broken off stem for this : just place it in the round shape and turn it counterclockwise to turn up or clockwise to turn down the 'volume'.

best regards, if you need more help just let me know.
Benny

Thank You!!!!!! I will order them and replace icon_lol.gif
 Alert Moderators
The831Bunny

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote

As Tony says, there should be no need to further adjust either dhw or heating, unless the knobs broke while turning it down.

As all boilers since 2005 have to have appropriate external controls to comply with Part L Building regs, heating should be adjusted and turned on/off by these.

Please be reminded that technically only a RGI can remove the front casing as it forms part of the 'room seal' of the appliance. Also PCB damage and risk of electrical shock if you open the PCB housing.

Sorry to state the obvious!

Bunny
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: