lights under kitchen units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks, i am having my kitchen fitted in january or i should say i am fitting it. i have low voltage halogen lights to go under the units. in the kitchen i have one light switch at the entrance and three spotlights on the ceiling how would i put these lights in so they all come on at the same time from the one switch. i will have lights to go in from both sides of an oblong kitchen under units on either side any advice would be greedily taken up cheers. :oops:

Sponsored Links
to wire them from one switch, take a cable to the main light and connect it to the same terminal as what the bulb connects to, and connect them to the same terminals in the other light

First Q.

Are you aware that from 1st January 2005, the Building Regulations will require that the work that you describe must either be carried out by a qualified electrician who is registered as competent to self-certify his own work, or must be notified in advance to Building Control and inspected by them?

i think the junction box is in the ceiling and from that junction box i have a transformer for my three ceiling downlighters so should i wire my under counter lights to this junction box because it might be difficult to get to as i have wooden floors upstairs
cheers

Sponsored Links
Yup - use that JB - can't see how the new total load would be too much.

Usual stuff 'bout same size cables, ensuring continuity of earth, cable routes, bend radii etc need to be observed.

And just in case you didn't get it - as you are doing this work next year, it will be illegal for you not to notify Building Control in advance. In order to ensure that your work is passed you should familiarise yourself with the relevant portions of the IEE Wiring Regulations to ensure compliance.

I thought the part p came into effect on the 5th of Jan & any cables laid before that date the following works were exempt part p.

fencer said:
I thought the part p came into effect on the 5th of Jan
No - Jan 1st.

& any cables laid before that date the following works were exempt part p.
Grey area - work contracted for and commenced before 31/12 has a grace period (March? April?) to be finished.

It's unclear how this applies to DIY (best guess is the same), nor what "started" means.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back