Lighting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a spot of trouble.

My main bedroom light, bathroom light, and illuminated mirror won't come on. This seems to have been caused by one of the bulbs in the bedroom light fitting blowing soon followed by a spark in the illuminated mirror.

I've checked wiring connections and have tried replacing all of the bulbs in each fixture but it hasn't made a difference. All of the said lights are on a 15A mini-circuit breaker. Could the circuit breaker itself need replacing?!

We've lived here for 3 and a half years without a problem and there has not been any recent wiring work.

Any ideas?

Thanks Chris

Sponsored Links
ok.. firstly, the lighting should be on NO MORE than a 10A breaker or fuse...
15A is likely too high for the size of cable installed unless you can guarantee that you have 1.5mm cable throughout the lighting circuit?

secondly, are there anymore lights on this circuit or just the 3 you listed?

if there are more lights then it's most likely that you have a loose connection somewhere in one of the blown lights, OR in one of the good lights.. or even at a switch depending on how it's wired..

The 3 lights mentioned are the only lights on the breaker.

Could you throw up a picture of the fusebox / consumer unit? It might help us get a better understanding of your wiring.

Sponsored Links
Any chance of a photo that is in focus so we can read the printing on the MCB's?

Looks like 3x 30A, 1x 15A and a 5A counting from the right, all type 2's.

Securespark is spot on...

Anyone any ideas what the problem might be?

yeah, what i said above..
loose wire somewhere..
withthe POWER OFF, start at the CU and check the live and neutral in the breaker, then follow through the circuit checking connections at the switches and lights..

it also wouldn't rule out the posibility that there's a fused spur in an airing cupboard that used to / still feeds an immersion heater that the lighting for the bathrom has been taken off..

where in the UK you at?
if you're close I could do you a cheap callout... :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back