Apparent earthing problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a bathroom wall light with a new illuminated mirror. Sounds simple. Having switched off the relevant lighting RCD for the main bedroom and en suite on the main panel, I removed the existing light. Before fitting the new mirror light, I decided for no particular reason to check the earth to live and neutral cables with a multimeter that includes a continuity buzzer. To my surprise the buzzer sounded when connected across neutral and earth. There was no problem with the lights previously and I have made no circuit changes apart from disturbing the cables connected to the old light. Is this apparent leak because of the characteristics of an RCD and nothing to worry about?

Sponsored Links
No surprise.

Neutral and earth are always connected at the power station, and usually at numerous othe places as well. However they must not be connected inside the house downstream of the electricity meter.

Sponsored Links
I think you will find there is an earth ;)
I was at a talk once given by Bear Grylls, and he was telling us about his ascent of Everest.

The other guy who went to the summit with him was a bit of a joker, and when they arrived he radioed base camp and said "Please advise - we appear to have run out of Earth".

Presumably he means that if the OP had isolated both poles and was still seeing continuity between N & E something is wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back