Trying to install a balcony railing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

This is my first post here, so please bear with me!

I recently bought a house that had an additional room built onto it, and the roof of the room is a balcony which opens from the master bedroom. The roof is wood, with asphalt shingles. The railing was missing, so I am in the process of installing a new one. I chose a wrought Iron railing from Menards which consist of 4 foot my 32 inch panels, and 1.25" posts. Metal flanges mount the posts into the floor. I installed the fence, which is 18 feet by 6 feet wide. I used 1.5" long lag bolts to mount down the flanges. Now, The two sides which are 6 feet feel quite solid, but the side that is 18 feet does not feel quite so solid. When you push it outward in moves too much and feels wobbly, but if I pull on it from left to right, it feels quite solid. I tried adding lock washers to the bolts and using a 2" long lag bolt, but there seemed to be little improvement. If there anything I can do to make this side of the fence less wobbly? Does it need some kind of a brace? I have to have the city inspect this before they let me move in, and I am afraid they may find the fence is not stable enough to pass inspection.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back